iboats shipping prices

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer
anyone else find the shipping prices to be really high? i was going to order the 2# gluvit kit but it would total at $84.00 with shipping :(
i understand that its hazardess material but i just ordered 2 part foam from florida(i live in ny) and shipping for a 16# kit was only about $18.00...

just curious on anyone elses thoughts.

skargo

Banned
Re: iboats shipping prices

Nope, just bought a pump housing that got delivered yesterday, the shipping was in line with others I have used.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think they ship from multiple locations. It seems to depend on the item and where it comes from. I had a large order in my cart once and they shipping quote I got was really high because stuff was coming from different places.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I think they ship from multiple locations. It seems to depend on the item and where it comes from. I had a large order in my cart once and they shipping quote I got was really high because stuff was coming from different places.

EDIT: I didnt realize it was hazardous materials. Thats different.

exactly it. I asked on the phone and the lady told me stuff comes from like 3 different warehouses. so, 3 boxes, 3 shipping prices, 3 deliveries sometimes. I have had it happen where a simple order shows up in 3 boxes on different days. I havent bought anything large or heavy though so i really didnt mind.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hazmat??

You have a PM

aspeck

Staff member

The things I have ordered from them have not been overly high as far as shipping goes. Price plus shipping still cheaper than some things local, definitely cheaper than other "non-local" items. I have been pleased.

gonefishie

Commander

NOPE! It's like finding a good barber. So what if he raised his price a few bucks?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Its the hazmat shipping.
Had that for several items since 911.

In most cases, I simply waited till I could find the item locally without paying the inflated shipping fees.

NAPA can truck in 12 cans of DeepCreep and sell it to me for $6.50 a can, or you can go to the NAPA website and buy a can for $6.50 plus $5.95 shipping PLUS the $27.00 hazmat fee.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My last order a few weeks ago was a new prop,an new paddle and some other odds and ends....free shipping! I knew the prop was free shipping but they did not charge shipping for the other items either.
I was very pleased! Ordered it on a Monday and UPS dropped it Wed....:D

jonesg

Admiral

Its the hazmat shipping.

In most cases, I simply waited till I could find the item locally without paying the inflated shipping fees.

NAPA can truck in 12 cans of DeepCreep and sell it to me for $6.50 a can, or you can go to the NAPA website and buy a can for $6.50 plus $5.95 shipping PLUS the $27.00 hazmat fee.

hazmat fees have been around a long time, I remember when they started around 20+ yrs ago, its an EPA tax to pay for superfund sites or something like that. Back then it was $5 per item.
It has nothing to do with the potential for harzard during shipping.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

hazmat fees have been around a long time, I remember when they started around 20+ yrs ago, its an EPA tax to pay for superfund sites or something like that. Back then it was $5 per item.
It has nothing to do with the potential for harzard during shipping.

Of course not, but the shipping companies have seized the opportunity to jack up the rates since 911.

Its all gov't regs and red tape, but you don't pay that same fee if they truck in a case to the local store.

Go online and order up an aerosol can of naptha, and see what the final shipping cost is.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Its the hazmat shipping.

QUOTE]

got it at my local parts dealer........ same price no shipping....just seemed kinda funny when the 16# kit of (hazardous) 2 part foam only costs 18 bucks to ship.. compared to 35 dollar shipping on a 2# little can.

guess everyone needs to make money somehow:/

D

DJ

anyone else find the shipping prices to be really high? i was going to order the 2# gluvit kit but it would total at $84.00 with shipping :(
i understand that its hazardess material but i just ordered 2 part foam from florida(i live in ny) and shipping for a 16# kit was only about $18.00...

just curious on anyone elses thoughts.

Two different things there. One is a total price, the other is shipping alone.

I've always found iboats shipping to be in line with any other. I have never found any outfit that ships faster.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Shipping is expensive nowadays all around. I don't blame iboats. I have stuff shipped in and out of here all the time and it's ghastly expensive, not sure why. I've been happy with my stuff from iboats. Always good quality stuff, shipped promptly. I've found cheaper quality items elsewhere for less, but the shipping was relatively the same. :cool:

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Shipping is expensive nowadays all around. I don't blame iboats. I have stuff shipped in and out of here all the time and it's ghastly expensive, not sure why. I've been happy with my stuff from iboats. Always good quality stuff, shipped promptly. I've found cheaper quality items elsewhere for less, but the shipping was relatively the same. :cool:

im not trying to say anything bad about iboats merchandise or service...just the cost of shipping kind of scared me..

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

It's most definitely the haz fees that jumped the cost up. UPS and Fedex currently have $25.00 per Hazmat package surcharges for ground services and $35.00 for air services. Since 9/11 enforcement has tightened and the potential fines have increased. There are no suggested guidelines in shipping the products, DOT 49cfr and IATA have clearly defined parameters that if met makes the item hazardous. There are however exemptions for certain items based on the quantity of a given item. For example, if you purchase a self inflating life vest it may come in a package marked either ORM-D or ORM-D Air, this is a hazardous material (Compressed CO2) that has been cleared to ship without going through the paperwork involved because it is very small qty and relatively low pressure. There are many others as well, some company's chose not to go that route because if the product is not actually eligible they could be looking at fines in the hundreds of thousands. Many company's, mine included, pass the costs associated on to the customer. Paint products for example must be shipped in DOT Spec packaging, which are much more expensive than a standard box or can.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I Boats is indeed charging for properly packaging and shipping Haz Mat stuff ... Hats Off to them for setting a proper example and doing it right !

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

i oppoligize for starting this thread since i just noticed the 2 part foam is actually (not) considered hazardous.... i misread it from the beginning :/
that explains everything i was confused about in the first post. must have been to caught up reading all the info on here and didnt pay attention elsewhere....
thanks everyone for the explanations though......