just bought a 88 bayliner capri for $500.00 and didnt run away

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello boat enthusiasts, just picked up this boat and was wondering about some tips on fixing some of the problems, it steers hard and I lubed up the back slider part with mouse milk and wd-40 and it still is tuff...any ideas? the back end transom part is in good shape and the fuel tank was still holding 3/4s of a tank of old fuel , about 18 gals. so the tank is good, I plan on putting a 65 hp merc (red band) on it and hope that will be enough hp to pull a skier and a tuber, found some decals on ebay and found they are kind of tricky to install, a few wrinkles here and there....oh well ( it was of course built in 88). Tried to find some Plexiglas windshields for it but the ones i found were quite expensive and flimsy looking, thinking about making a couple out of an old acrylic coffee table? this will be more of a fun boat then a show boat so any feedback would be great .Thanks

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: just bought a 88 bayliner capri for $500.00 and didnt run away

welcome to i boats.! :)

well for 500 bux i think you got a project there !.
the trailer is worth the money as well as some of the parts....so you did ok.

the windsheild for that hull should still be readily avaliable from boat scrap yards.

as long as you can walk on the deck with out falling thru and the transom isnt rotten so you can hang the motor you should be ok.

as far as the steering.....lube the cable under the dash as well....if it still is too stiff replace it.

cheers
oops

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!!! :D

oops has you on the right track....... by the way WD 40 is NOT a lubricant and will actually remove lubricants...... it is great for breaking down old grease.... I like to use synthetic oil as a good lubricant.

Yes steering cables either work properly or they don't..... when they don't.... replace them.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool boat, I think that 65 should be enough to pull a tuber. looks like you have a dr650 hiding out it there too? super fun bikes...

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks you guys for the advice, I might just have to go windshieldless for now until this boat is proven lakeworthy and fishworthy, the back end is done as far as the bilge pump and the float switch install, that was a challenge.

I found you cant just drive a screw into the bottom of the hull to secure things the fiberglass just turns to dust you have to drill a small hole with a drill bit first then drive in the screw, found that out after being Ghandi for an hour an contorting myself to fit in the box, lots of fun....Not! At least i know its good back there.

Any ideas on a good reasonable supplier for boat steering cables I will probably go that route since there may be some drivers that will definitely complain about the power steering and i may be the one on the tube helplessly watching the boat head towards shore.

And SBTom yes that is a DR350 electric start, another play toy WhewHooo, you cant have to many toys or to much fun!:) and summers about here.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

get the cable right here at i boats....

i recommend teleflex

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

support the company store!!
they have everything and make it possible to network here

foodfisher

Captain

Before buying cable , disconnect it and see if the motor turns freely.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to iboats, nice looking project, defintely look here on iboats for parts as they host this great site for our forums. you'll be on the water in no time....tink

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heard you can heat the cable to loosen up the grease but it will gum up again the moment it gets cold so i bought a 15ft steering cable off this site $122.54 with shipping not the cheapest but not bad from some of the research i have been doing, i think its also important that you support your local marina too.

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know its off topic but....

BUY LOCAL WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!!

I worked at a local hardware store for over 5 years, the store had been around since the 50's. We were walking distance to the peninsula on Lake Erie and strongly supported the marine industry. We probably carried the largest selection of SS fasteners, epoxy, poly, topcoats, antifouling and many other marine specific items in the area.

Then Lowes and WM opened 3 miles down the road....you can guess the rest of the story:mad:

sorry for stealing a little time Chum and the boat looks like a great project

Mike