Need help troubleshooting ignition problems

RangerJake

Recruit
Hey I have a 4cyl. 1977, Bee Craft, 140hp, type:eek:pen, mercruiser.
I have just recently been working on it after 3 years of it not being operated. I ran it in 2007 and it ran with no flaws. In the past month I have replaced the slave solenoid, battery, ignition coil, under distributer cap: rotor, condenser, breaker point and wires, and spark plugs.
I replaced the slave solenoid and battery to get the engine to turn over but it seemed like I was not getting a spark. So I replaced the spark plugs and the engine turned over and almost started up before dying. After about 6 cranks I went over and checked out the engine and noticed that the resistor wire going from the negative post on the ignition coil to the distributor was all burned up, so I checked inside the distributor cap and everything was charred in there as well. So I replaced all the components in there (rotor, condenser, breaker point and wires) and tried starting it up again. Now the resistor wire was smoking so bad I could see it from the front of the boat. Thought I might have had a bad ignition coil so I replaced that as well but tried starting it and got the same results, smoking and engine not starting.
Now I am stumped, any suggestions?

RangerJake

Recruit
Re: Need help troubleshooting ignition problems

Sorry I am new when it comes to fixing boat stuff. What exactly do you mean the points are glazed over? Do you mean the breaker points? As for the full tune-up is there a thread that will tell me step by step on what I need to do for the full tune-up , or is it the thread that you gave me? I would rather not take it to a mechanic so I know what is being done. Sorry if I misunderstood anything that you said.