1964 evinrude 90 hp thermostat/selector switch

BIGHAPPY

Recruit
I have a red buzzer sounding on dash and someone said to change thermostat. How can i find procedures to do this? I have manual but has no info!! Plus my selector switch is broken and iam wiring a 3way toggle switch it has a blue,red,green wire any help would be great!!! I just bought the boat and had $300 of work done to fix prop seals dont want to spend anymore and want to do it myself! Thank you!!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 evinrude 90 hp thermostat/selector switch

Those old motors had a hot buzzer or light. You might ground the temp sender wire on one of the heads and see if that triggers the alarm. If so, you might rebuild the waterpump. You may test the thermostat. It should open at 140*F. It is located in the black plastic box in the rear of the bottom cowling.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a red buzzer sounding on dash and someone said to change thermostat. How can i find procedures to do this? I have manual but has no info!! Plus my selector switch is broken and iam wiring a 3way toggle switch it has a blue,red,green wire any help would be great!!! I just bought the boat and had $300 of work done to fix prop seals dont want to spend anymore and want to do it myself! Thank you!!!

Red to green is forward gear
No connection is neutral gear
Red to Blue is reverse gear

Red to both blue and green at the same time will bust the clutch spring or drive shaft.

BIGHAPPY

Recruit

So if iam using a 3way toggle switch how do i hook it up? Also do you know if i can use something to hold the prop on besides that little pin

F_R

Supreme Mariner

All I am going to tell you is that it takes a SPDT switch. If you know what that is, you know how to hook it up.

The reason I am being so hard on you is because what you are proposing could be hazardous to life and limb.

Last edited: