Buying a boat with out a title

x5050160

Recruit
Hi I am new to this forum and I don't have a boat yet. I am only looking for a little jon boat to go fishing with on smithville lake MO. I do have alot of knowledge about boating I used to work for SeaDoo. The question I am wanting to know is it a good idea to buy a boat with out a title? I have seen alot of them on craigslist for cheap. Is there anyway to title a boat with only a bill of sale? I would be registering this boat in MO. I don't think that it would be a problem unless the boat was stolen.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Buying a boat with out a title

in Florida, the only way to title a boat like that is lie, and say it is homemade. making you a criminal.

x5050160

Recruit

Well I know that I can do that but I would rather do it in some form of a legal fashion. I would hate to spend money on a boat and then never be able to use it

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have sold several boats to people from MO and never had a problem. I have also bought boats from MO without titles and had no problem registering them here in KS. Just make sure that the boat you buy without a title comes from Kansas and has a bill of sale.

x5050160

Recruit

ah i see. So i could buy the boat in MO have a kansas Resident write me a bill of sale, and then take that bill of sale to the MO DMV and get the boat titled? Does the kansas resident need to register the boat before I take it to MO?

x5050160

Recruit

cool well I think that is really all I need to know for now :) Thanks everyone

italian65

Recruit

Hey admiral I am in the same situation, Is that kansas city, Mo or Kansas the state?

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had the same issue in ny. I bought a jet ski and the guy lost the tittle ny DMV needed info from all previous owners death certificates for those who have passed all kinds of craziness. I went to vt and registered there. The law states the vehicle should be registered in the state it is primarily used in. Vt took the bill of sale and gave me erg numbers on the spot. I was on the water legally that day.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi I am new to this forum and I don't have a boat yet. I am only looking for a little jon boat to go fishing with on smithville lake MO. I do have alot of knowledge about boating I used to work for SeaDoo. The question I am wanting to know is it a good idea to buy a boat with out a title? I have seen alot of them on craigslist for cheap. Is there anyway to title a boat with only a bill of sale? I would be registering this boat in MO. I don't think that it would be a problem unless the boat was stolen.

1. Its not a good idea to buy a boat/trailer or whatever without a Title ( AKA this or that guy OWNS the boat and is releasing/selling it to you ). Why even consider it.

2. Are you asking if there are go arounds on getting a boat without a title? .. erm I can(t) think of ways..but I wont tell you them ;) .

3. craigslist boats are full of scams..beware

NO dont buy a boat without a solid title..period .. unless your doing something that Iboats will not be a part of In ANY way...I wont..

Ask your local DMV about it..or a lawyer..

YD.

Shortcircuit

Cadet

Went through the process several years ago when I bought my "new to me boat". Got it from the estate of an individual that had passed away. Although it wasn't required, I did obtain a notarized bill of sale from his wife. Fortunatly, the regional office for the Department of Wildlife and Parks is located in Hays, KS, where I live. The assigned numbers were just transferred to me. They do check if the boat has been reported as stolen (Computerized list at the Wildlife and Parks office when I took my paperwork in). They issued my registration decals on the spot. The whole process took less than 30 minutes. Link to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks: http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Bo...-Boat/How-do-I-sell-and-or-unregister-my-boat.
Don't do much posting but really enjoy iBoats. Was the first bookmark on my new laptop.