What parts are these?

joeycatt

Recruit
Good grief! I took my Mercruiser outdrive off and these things fell out - I cannot find them in any of the manuals I have - or in parts illustrations. They fell out of a Mercruiser Alpha 1, Gen2 from a 2002 Maxum 1800SR boat. I believe they fell out when I removed the outdrive from the bell housing. Any help would be appreciated!
(pic attached - quarter shown for size comparison)

joeycatt

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0

joeycatt

Recruit
Re: What parts are these?

Thanks Boat Tech!
OK - I looked through my manual...and some online.
The only reference I see is this prior post
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13C6R2.PDF

Mine is a 3.0 liter, 2002 Maxum with Alpha1 Gen 2. The PDF referenced above is for Alpha1 Gen 1.
Do you know where I should look for the proper placement / installation of these water shutters ?

Much thanks
joeycatt

haulnazz15

Captain

Yup, the exhaust shutters (or flappers) are in the y-tube just past the risers on most boats. They blew through the transom bracket and sat in the exhaust bellows until you took them out. You should replace them, it's cheap insurance against reversion from waves hitting the stern.

Edit: I see you have the 3.0L, so it is at the top of the exhaust tube under the riser since you are inline and not a V-block there is no y-tube. It was item "D" in the diagram.

joeycatt

Recruit
Boat Tech is DA MAN!

Boat Tech is DA MAN!

Boat Tech - you are 100% correct.
I just pulled the pipes off and - the only 'remains' of the former water shutter is a rod, going across the exhaust downpipe...
It is fried "extra crispy" and is is certainly the problem.

Much thanks for the speedy and correct response!

A grateful Joeycatt!

UncleBoatMan

Cadet

Every time I take things apart and put them back together, I have parts left over also. I think they are just extra parts.