Quirky 97 225EFI

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Hi all, I have a 97/225 EFI
It starts and runs great. The pumps are both new. The filters and hoses and squeezie are all new.New stator.
I start it and idle out to deeper water and then try to take off it bogs.
I turn it off and restart then it will get right up on plane and run great .
I slow it down and idle around for a bit then try to get up on plane and it bogs again.I turn it off and restart. Then it will get right up on plane again.

I took it to a dealer and he got the Merc.factory tech involved. He said it was a bad stator.They replaced and said it ran great.I get it home and it did the same old stuff. I replaced the stator and it still does the same thing.

ANY HELP?????? Thanks,J

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Quirky 97 225EFI

How many stators have you been through man?

Have you checked and re-checked both the fuel pressure and the FP regulator to make sure it's closing when the rpms go up?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Jason.The stator that the tech put on was used so when it still did the start thing they said it might be bad and to replace it.So I put on a new one and it still did it.
How do I check to see that it's closing.
I checked the FP pressure and it stays at around 39-40
The manual says anything over 36-38 replace and the Merc Tech says that it's ok at that pressure. Thanks again.J

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Okay, My SM say's 34-36 psi on the motor.
There is always a deviation with with fuel pressure gauges, no 2 read 100% alike, but if your reading 39-40 I wouldn't jump on the regulator right away, but i'd have another look at it with another gauge to see what your getting.

Describe the bog some more. When you punch the throttle does the motor stumble and stammer but eventually pick back up and smooth out at higher rpms? Is there black smoke?
Does it stumble and stall? Just stumble?

You also need get a scan tool on it and start reading some real time data. If you have a TPS out of adjustment, there will be no codes, but the motor won't run right either. In fact there's not much you can do to this motor without a scan tool.
Intermitent problems are the worst and most time consuming to find. Start checking all the connectors to all of the major player sensors in the harness.
Look for corroded plugs. Shake the wiring at the connectors with the motor both off and on and see if your live data on the scan tool changes while shaking the wires.

If you need the SM for it PM me and i'll send you the one I have.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Jason. When I throttle up it stumbles and stays there lots of black smoke. When I throttle back and try to throttle up again it will do the same.
I have to shut it off then it will throttle up no problem.It will run great until I slow down and idle for a while,then It's the same.
I have a manual on CD I believe it's a Clymer or Selock.Thanks again,J

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Black smoke is a sign that it's obviously running to rich. Again have another look at the fuel pressure and see if it stays solid or if it's intermitent. If the boat has ever had water in the fuel tank you may be fighting some sticky injectors.

I'll email you the SM a bit later when i have some more time.

Crusty16

Cadet

I had a similar problem on my 96 175efi and it was trash in the injectors but I didn't figure that out until I seized a piston.