Tachometer verify

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice
Hope you can verify what I think I already know.

This is the tachometer I have installed in my boat which I am 99.9% sure it is not correct. I have a 1991 Force 120hp which has a 20-pole alternator. By the label on the tach, I am sure this is incorrect. Attached are the pics.

The Green wire is attached to the terminal marked "PUL" (not sure where this goes yet, still looking). The black wire is attached to GND. The red wire is attached to 12V. Purple wire is attached to the unmarked terminal (upper right in the picture). The switch marked PUL/REV is set to 6.

Also, can anyone point me where I can find one. I understand they are hard to find, and everyone I have called that have one listed on their website do not have one.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Attachments

• tach rear.jpg
    tach rear.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tachometer verify

The 20 pole tachs are still out there my local marina got me a new one but it was about $90.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I think it was teleflex red international series...

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Just ordered one from a place in New York. Faria part #34617, which on every site I could find showed it was for a 20-pole. Hope it's the correct one. $95 plus shipping.

Thanks for the help
Ken

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep us updated on the tach I am in the market to purchase a tach i actually found it at west marine for $85, i just googled the number. Keep us posted thanks.

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Keep us updated on the tach I am in the market to purchase a tach i actually found it at west marine for $85, i just googled the number. Keep us posted thanks.

I'll update when I receive it. I'm finding it on other websites that list it as a "universal" outboard tach, but according to Tech support at Faria the universal tach will not work on 20-pole.

Ken

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have found other faria tachs say universal but say they work with 20 pole alts in the description. So i dunno what to do i guess ill call faria monday and get more info

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

just got off the phone with faria, they do not make a tach for a 20 pole setup. This sucks any one know where you can definatly get a tach for a 20 pole

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry ken to hi jack but, i called teleflex they told me red international series, 53743P is the number he gave will work with a 20 pole tach.

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry ken to hi jack but, i called teleflex they told me red international series, 53743P is the number he gave will work with a 20 pole tach.

No worries. Got the tach today and it was, as I suspected, for up to 12-pole. So far these are the numbers I have found:

Teleflex 53743p, Medallion DJ1STK19720, Faria DD2TC9819A. (If anyone has any info on these other numbers or has a good part # please chime in)

No one lists the Medallion or Faria numbers that I can find. Everyone so far that I have contacted that has the Teleflex listed on there site, does not have one.

Any help is appreciated, so if you find 2 let me know. I'll do the same.
Ken

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Faria doesn't make anything for 20 pole alt. i called tech support today. I also called teleflex he gave me that number, i search on jamestown distributors, they have them for 70 plus shipping gonna by one in 2 weeks so if you beat me to it let me know if not ill let you know

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Faria doesn't make anything for 20 pole alt. i called tech support today. I also called teleflex he gave me that number, i search on jamestown distributors, they have them for 70 plus shipping gonna by one in 2 weeks so if you beat me to it let me know if not ill let you know

I called Jamestown Distributors yesterday afternoon and they do not have any.

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

I called 8 different places and only 1 had any.

Just placed my order, they had 2 in stock. $75 and changed delivered. marinepowerservice

Ken

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

I called 8 different places and only 1 had any.

Just placed my order, they had 2 in stock. $75 and changed delivered. marinepowerservice

Ken

Now I am being told that it is not in stock, after I placed my order. They said Teleflex will build one on request, but not at that price. So, I am still looking.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

well let me know im gonna call teleflex and see how much it costs to build i might have a couple built and sell them if anyone is interested.

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Now I am being told that it is not in stock, after I placed my order. They said Teleflex will build one on request, but not at that price. So, I am still looking.

Long story short, the lady in sales pulled it to hold for me, so they couldn't find it. My tach is on the way tomorrow morning.