Engine low speed missfire

chris8641

Cadet
I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a while. I have a 1988 25 hp evinrude that I have done the following to. Installed new stator, new fuel pump, rebuilt the carburetor soaked in cleaner over night and put new kit in it. Rebuilt the manual primer, replaced the bypass plate cover, replaced the exhaust gasket. Compression checked out at 105 top 100 bottom. When I pulled the bypass plate there was a ton of oil on the bottom, I cleaned it all out and installed new gasket, which was blown on the bottom. I know the plugs are firing, and I've changed the plugs and wires and nothing has changed. The engine starts fine but when it is idling it has a dead miss in it. If you get it on the water and open it up it runs fine. I was just wondering if this could be a reed valve problem or if it sounds like a coil, bad wire somewhere, etc. Please help.

Thanks,
Chris

Rick.

Captain
Re: Engine low speed missfire

Agree with above. I think you should back out your slow speed adjustment needle about an 1/8 of a turn at a time until the miss (sneeze) disappears. Too lean a mix will cause the symptom you describe. Best of luck. Rick.

chris8641

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I had messed with that adjustment a hundred times and didn't get it right but I went home yesterday and did it again and started it up and it ran at idle for a good five minutes until I shut it down. I'm ready for the water.

Rick.

Captain

That's great news but final adjustment may have to be done with the motor in the water. Rick.