Fuel Not getting to Carbs?

JFergus

Cadet
I have a 73 Johnson 135. Bought it off a buddy who has let it sit for about 3 years, and from what I can tell did no storage maintenance.

I finally got the Flywheel to kick over after cleaning varnish off the armature and cleaning/tinning all connectors between the battery and connector.

I can also get it to kick over for a few seconds if I prime the carbs with my 50:1 fuel mixture; however, I can not get it to stay running. I've used starting fluid too but trying to stay away from it since it tends to make matters worse.

I cleaned all of the old fuel from the lines up to the pump and verified fuel is making it atleast as far as the "Y" joint before it splits off to the carbs. The Priming bulb is solid and it feels like thier is a blockage somewhere. Before I go taking apart the carbs to verify there is no varnishing of any ports, please recomment other troubleshooting ideas.

I only spent 500 for the boat, trailer, and engine so I am dedicated to resurrecting the old girl.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Not getting to Carbs?

The fuel pump just lifts fuel to the float bowls, after that the pistons create the vacuum that pulls the fuel through the carburetors.

You need to have the choke plates fully, 100%, absolutely closed for a cold start and they have to stay that way as long as you crank for a cold start.

Take the air silencer cover off and watch while someone holds the toggle switch and turns the ignition switch to start. If the plates are not staying closed, move the choke solenoid in small increments until they do.

The stock remote control had a warmup lever that needed to be all the way up for a cold start because it advanced the timing. Watch the action at the engine while someone moves the warmup lever to be sure that the timing is advanced.

JFergus

Cadet

Thanks, I will double check that next. I am pretty sure I have tried it with Choke plates in all positions but will try it again tonight. Is the primer bulb being rock hard after pumping it normal. This is my first boat/outboard so pretty ignorant on a lot of things. (Not even sure if the pump is any good) but without the engine even idling hard to tell if the vacuum line from the carbs are doing any good. I'll keep searching the posts.

Will using a carb cleaner do any good, or a fuel additive incase of built up on the jets since it has been stored for so long?

JFergus

Cadet

Push comes to shove and I'll drop the extra coin for the local Marine Service Center to take a look, but with a 1973 Outboard I am guessing they'd just tell be to get a new engine. To stuborn to give up yet though and still about a month left before fishing opener.

jonesg

Admiral

Push comes to shove and I'll drop the extra coin for the local Marine Service Center to take a look, but with a 1973 Outboard I am guessing they'd just tell be to get a new engine. To stuborn to give up yet though and still about a month left before fishing opener.

You didn't say whether your timing is advancing with the warm up lever.
Shops generally don't bother with older engines.

Heres what I would do, get the model number of the engine, order rebuild kits for the carbs and do them, use the new parts supplied and the new gaskets. Spraying carb cleaner rarely gets the clogs out, old fuel dries up and gums up the jets with dried oil, run wire thru the jets and give everything a good soak. Cost you around $20 ea, mechanics charge $100 ea carb+++. Very simple DIY job, watch some videos on Youtube to see how its done.
Its a very common problem if they sit idle for a while.

Also change your lower gear oil and use new seals on the drain screws.$1 ea.

JFergus

Cadet

I didn't state whether timing was advanced or not because I honestly don't know. I was suspecting a rebuild kit might be in order anyhow but was hoping someone might have better ideas. Although my kids and a couple oars will make a good back-up motor, I suppose the more sure aproach is the best even if it is more work so I don't get myself and passengers stranded in the middle of a lake. :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The timing linkage is circled in the thumbnail. Just be sure it is connected and moving when the warmup lever is raised on your remote control.

Except for the paint, the motor that you have is the same as the 1973 135HP Evinrude that set world records and was used in the James Bond movies: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2581716470091848696VYPICV

You would do well to purchase a factory service manual before working on the motor: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkpar...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

Attachments

• Timing linkage.jpg
    Timing linkage.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • james-bond-jump-100dpi.jpg
    james-bond-jump-100dpi.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0

JFergus

Cadet

Except for the paint, the motor that you have is the same as the 1973 135HP Evinrude that set world records and was used in the James Bond movies: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2581716470091848696VYPICV

First, I have verified that is advancing but may need to be adjusted. I am still looking for service manual for this particular engine.

That is some pretty cool trivia that I don't even think my buddy knew about. Makes me that much more determined to keep it alive.

JFergus

Cadet

Just for anyone interested, this engine is mounted on a 16 foot Dixie-Devil, I think that is what my buddy called it. He said it was a pretty old boat but screams through the water. I'll post a pic when able to.

JFergus

Cadet

"Still searching" as in...39, 3 kids, full time job, full time IT student, full time repair man in the house, etc...just haven't taken a lot of time to dig. Thanks for the URL, I will make good use of it.

I pulled the top of the two intakes off last night and found the holes on the jets clogged and a slight varnishing in the bowl but nothing a little cleaner couldn't handle. Those have been cleaned but I may just have them removed and put in new ones. There is a bit of a chip out of the bottom of one jet where it sets in the bowl so not sure how that will affect performance. Can't imagine it would stop it from running but i suppose if doesn't set below the fuel level correctly the vacuum pressure will have a hard time pulling it up into the carbs.

JFergus

Cadet

LOL, ok so getting a manual was easier than expected and should be here next week. Now to purchase the carb kit. Many thanks ezeke for the push in the right direction.