Quick Plug Question

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has a semi-permanent plug it seems. Its a bolt that screws into the transom from the outside. So my question is, do I need to remove the plug after every trip out and try to make sure I get all the water out of the bilge, or is a little water in the bilge ok?

Thanks!

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick Plug Question

I take my plug out every time my boat comes out of the water. and i put it back in before the boat hits the water..(dont forget)

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I take my plug out every time my boat comes out of the water. and i put it back in before the boat hits the water..(dont forget)

DITTO !! Yes, You want to take the plug out, You don't want water to constantly to sit in your boat will rot 100X faster. Pull plug + Air = Dry boat:D It does become routine:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

If you Don't remove the garboard plug,......

Your boat can Fill with water from rain, or whatnot.........

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I always keep my bilge as dry as possible.......;)

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Well...phooey!

I "knew" that was going to be the answer but I was hoping it wasn't. We have bad mosquitos around the house, so by the time we get back from the lake they're out in force. So I get down behind the boat to remove the plug and I become a giant size buffet for those little buggers....Next time I'll have to use some "OFF" before removing the plug... UGH.

:D

Thanks
Chris

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chris, i take my plug out after i pull the boat up the boat ramp, that way all the water drains out on the way home.. fyi

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I do the same, Pull the plug in the Parking lot when the boat comes out of the water. I then throw the plug in the back of the Suburban to make sure I always have it with me.

All the water comes out while driving if there is any, alot easier to do then to do it in the yard.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

That makes sense. Gotta put a wrench in the boat then. The previous owner had a plastic grocery bag with the plug in it and had it hanging on the throttle. I think I'll try that. Pull the plug and put the plug in the bag on the throttle. That way I won't put the boat in the water without the plug in it (maybe) :)

Thanks

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, pull the plug while still on the ramp unless you have others trying to use the ramp. That slope of the ramp will help drain 'er dry.