74 20hp Johnson

bmflyfish

Cadet
"I have a 20 hp Johnson outboard-tiller. It's a 1974, w/ starter. I put on 2 new coils, spark plugs, new stainless, new water pump. It ran great...for about a minute. My buddy didn't put the water pump in correctly. It got hot and scored the pistons. I took it to a mechanic and he offered me $100 for it or $900 to fix it. Ouch! I'm not a mechanic but if you're handy you should be able to fix it for about $500 bucks. It's in really great shape. I kept it around to try and take a crack at it. I just don't have the time."

I found the following craigslist add and I was wanting an opinion on whether or not this could be worth following up on. I would be the one who would do the the rebuild. Doing a rebuild with a manual be worth it? As a side note I have never rebuilt an outboard, only 4.0 Jeep motors. Since I am ignorance on rebuilding an outboard, my thinking of could be way off base. Thanks for all the insights!

Thanks Brian

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 74 20hp Johnson

Give it a shot. If you have built motors before you can do that one!!! Go pick up a service manual and get started!!! They are not hard to work on!!!

bmflyfish

Cadet

"I have a 20 hp Johnson outboard-tiller. It's a 1974, w/ starter. I put on 2 new coils, spark plugs, new stainless, new water pump. It ran great...for about a minute. My buddy didn't put the water pump in correctly. It got hot and scored the pistons. I took it to a mechanic and he offered me $100 for it or $900 to fix it. Ouch! I'm not a mechanic but if you're handy you should be able to fix it for about $500 bucks. It's in really great shape. I kept it around to try and take a crack at it. I just don't have the time."

I found the following craigslist add and I was wanting an opinion on whether or not this could be worth following up on. I would be the one who would do the the rebuild. Doing a rebuild with a manual be worth it? As a side note I have never rebuilt an outboard, only 4.0 Jeep motors. Since I am ignorance on rebuilding an outboard, my thinking of could be way off base. Thanks for all the insights!

Thanks Brian

Is there anything I need to look for that would an automatic do not buy? My concern is having to put more into the motor than what it is worth. Thanks again! Brian

Rebuilding this motor WILL cost you more than it's worth.
Oversize pistons - $160
Gaskets, seals, etc - $90
Machine work to bore cylinders - $120
Any bearings needed will be expensive as well, the rod bearings are NLA.
The center split sleeze is almost $100.
Then you get it apart and find out the crank has a burnt or water marked journal, then all your money is done the toilet.

Is a 74 20 hp worth it? Not to me...
You could find a decent running 20 for about $400 and run it till it drops.

bmflyfish

Cadet

Rebuilding this motor WILL cost you more than it's worth.
Oversize pistons - $160
Gaskets, seals, etc - $90
Machine work to bore cylinders - $120
Any bearings needed will be expensive as well, the rod bearings are NLA.
The center split sleeze is almost $100.
Then you get it apart and find out the crank has a burnt or water marked journal, then all your money is done the toilet.

Is a 74 20 hp worth it? Not to me...
You could find a decent running 20 for about $400 and run it till it drops.

Thanks to all for the comments! I am always looking for that deal. But it sounds like I should pass this one up.

14ft Grumman, I have tried repeatly to send you a PM but the link will not open.

kbait

Commander

I've had 'em overheat/die from plugged intake (die wot), let 'em cool down while just slowly pulling the cord at first so it won't seize, and they fire up and run again fine. I'd want to get compression and if bad, check head gasket before buying..