New 1974 Sea King 15HP - Won't budge...

1974SeaKing15HP

Recruit
I have a new 1974 (Serial number is 47x....) Sea King 15HP outboard. I found it in my parent's basement laying on it's side. In all likelyhood it's been that way since purchase.

It is brand new, not a spec of dirt inside the cover. Probably started once or twice if that. I pulled the spark plugs, one is clean, the other has corrosion around the tip.

PROBLEM. I can not budge the motor by pulling the start cord. I am 27 and lift so it's not an issue with strength. The thing will not budge. I don't know a lot about marine outboards so I took off the nut on the top of the motor and could not take off the top cover. I quit there.

Any advice? It can't be seized... Thanks.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: New 1974 Sea King 15HP - Won't budge...

It can, if it has been sitting there since 1974. But, all is probably not lost. Turn it so the spark plugs face up and remove them. Put some Marvel Mystery oil in there, or one of the many other fluids that are supposed to loosen stuff.

Let it sit, and try it again. Repeat until you can turn the engine.

Dampness has no problem getting into stored outboards. It goes right in through the carb into the crankcase, then through the transfer ports into the cylinders.

It's probably salvageable, though.

64NHALF

Cadet
Re: New 1974 Sea King 15HP - Won't budge...

I have heard allot of people praising SeaFoam, I have not yet used the product, but there are a few products they offer. Here is a link to their website, http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm The one that looks like it would most likely work would be the Sea Foam Deep Creep.