Veteran's History Project

ehenry

Commander
A local news station in Jackson, MS is in the process of interviewing veterans about their experiences in the various conflicts our country has been involved in. They interviewed my Dad last wednesday and it aired yesterday on the 5 oclock news. He was a B24 pilot in the south pacific. Here is the link if anyone is interested. At 90 years old we're all proud of the job he did.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12223628

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Veteran's History Project

Bravo to your father. That's a nice clip.

TilliamWe

Banned

Excellent story, well told by your dad. I loved his statement that he "knew" he'd been hit by that Japanese fighter! Sounds like something I would say, only to find out it was a lightbulb!!!!! Hilarious!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That is terrific ....... what a great article...... Thank your Dad! You should be proud.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

That's great! Thanks for sharing!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Georgia PBS, did a mini series, they inviewed my uncle for a 30 minute show.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

very cool. good to see them still being recognized.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is good seeing history taught by those who lived it rather than those who tell it the way they wish it was.

I am regularly annoyed when narrators of those mostly wonderful TV documentarys make patently wrong statements of historical importance.

Example: October 25, 1944; the Battle off Samar. One of the most inspiring 3 or 4 hours of sea battle in recorded history. A documentary about air battles in the Pacific war actually credited the sinking of 2 Japanese Cruisers to aircraft that were armed for ground support using "torpedos".

Those two cruisers were sunk by the USS Samuel Roberts, a DD that took on a full battle fleet, including Yamato, one of two of the largest, most powerful Battleships ever built. Her sister ship, Musashi has been sunk the previous day by aircraft.

Speaking of Yamato, I watched a documentary on the chase-down and sinking of Bismark last night, in which Bismark (a big and powerful battleship of about average size) was described as the biggest, most powerful battleship in the world.

Little errors like that rewrite history. In my mind that is criminal.

Men of the greatest generation were there. We need them to tell it like it was. Men like EHenry's Dad and TD's Uncle are doing that. That is as it should be.

Huron Angler

Admiral

ehenry great post, it's always great to see a vet getting respected properly for their efforts.:) Your dad may have helped the folks on the ground(like my grandpa) quite a bit in the pacific theatre, so tell him thanks on my behalf as well.

JB you raise a very good point, no better source for info than the folks who lived thru it.

I'm just thankful we were able to record some of my grandpa's stories on audio tape before he passed away in '96. Time to get those out and convert to digital so it'll be around for a while.

ehenry

Commander

"The Greatest Generation" . . . . There are not that many of these men and women left among us. I'm happy Pop was able to add his expirences to the project. I'm blessed to still have him and Mamma.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

"The Greatest Generation" . . . . There are not that many of these men and women left among us. I'm happy Pop was able to add his expirences to the project. I'm blessed to still have him and Mamma.
Great interview. EHenry tell your father thanks, (from one of us who knows what the "The Greatest Generation" means).

My dad served in the S.Pacific. If he was still here he would be 88 this year.
Like many of the WWII vets he never really wanted to talk about it. Thank goodness some do!

Recently I had a 90 yr.old man in my office, his 88 yr. old brother had recently died and he was reminiscing about their experience's in WWII. The brother was a Seebee pilot. While he talked I kept wishing I had a tape recorder going.

ehenry

Commander

As I mentioned in originial post. Pop is 90 and he's never really talked much about his experiences in the war up until now. I'd heard a couple stories but none of what he mentioned in the interview.

ehenry

Commander

BUmpin this one backup to go along with JB "Old Fart" post.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great man recounting true history. My hats off and I am humbled in the presence of men like him. I thank him and others like him for having the courage and strength to serve their country and fellow man. God Bless. Dave

Brent S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After my Father's best Navy friend (we called him Uncle) passed away his son found the diary he kept. It was from boot camp through Okinawa to getting his discharge. They had it transcribed and sent it to my Father since he was a priciple character. WOW, it was like talking to him again. Uncle Norris was always a great story teller when I was a kid but he never told some of these.

My father filled in some of the blanks and we sent a set back. Stories I never heard before.

I guess it takes time for people to talk. My brother spent 2005 in, around, and over Iraq. When I asked him what the bronze star was for he said, "doing my job, no big deal".

We have to thank those who serve, support them in any way we can, and pray for them.
Their expieriences, while important to share, do not come out easily. Perhaps in time. THEIR time, not ours.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice clip of your Dad,loved the light bulb story.

ehenry

Commander

All, with Veteran's Day this coming Monday and Pop's 93rd birthday last Saturday, I wanted to bump this back to the top to honor him and all the brave men and women that have fought for and are fighting today to keep this country what it is.....Free.

I know a number of you have seen this but just the fact that Pop is still with us at 93 makes me as proud as what he did in WWII. Please pardon my gloating........................