Wakeboarding near Dallas

karlt5503

Seaman Apprentice
Wanted to see if anyone wakeboards near Dallas, and if so, which lakes they have found calmer water, less traffic? I spent last summer at Ray Hubbard, but it was a little ruff. Anyone board at Lavon? If so, it it a good one? I'm real close to them both.

Thanks

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wakeboarding near Dallas

Wakeboarding in Dallas...this is more on the Fort Worth side but calm water.

Tin Top (Brazos river before it goes into Lake Granbury) This will have calm water no matter the wind as it is a river. This river section is very long, but I cannot promise there won't be much traffic as others know this to be a great wakeboard/ skiiing section. The BRA ramp off Tin Top Highway is free and a good ramp. Parking is also free.

You can exit off 20 on to tin top rd. Go south, make a right on old tin top rd and it curves to the left. Old Tin top rd ends at the BRA boat ramp.

There is some calm water on Eagle Mountain on the north side, but it isn't that great. The Brazos river and Possum Kingdom have the most protected ski areas.

karlt5503

Seaman Apprentice

System-f ,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm just east of Dallas, real close to Ray Hubard. I guess I'll have to check out Lavon this summer, just hate to waste a day if its not a good lake to board on. Tried to find some info on the web about it, but couldnt find much info on skiing or boarding, just fishing.

akazanar

Cadet

Lake Whitney is a bit of a drive for you but sounds just like what you are looking for. My family and I will be spending a lot of time there this summer.

texomatom

Seaman

I've been on Lavon a few times. It really depends on how crowded it is as most prefer boarding near the dam. I've been on a weekday and was the only boat within a quarter mile of the dam. Best day ever on Lavon - glass all day. Any weekend will bring out more boats and the associated wakes/rollers.
HTH
Tom

barman84

Cadet

I vote for Eagle Mountain just stay close the North Damn and you will be fine. I have hit every lake in the DFW area and I would stay out of Lake Worth (no gas stations + Gators), Lewisville, and Possum Kingdom. Joe pool is a relatively quite lake as well.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live about 2 miles from benbrook lake, theres a lot of underground stumps and nearly no wind cover, it's hit or miss if it's worth riding out there.

I'll have to try out that Granbury lake spot. Despite the Gators, how is lake Worth? I have heard that you have to have some special permit to be on that lake?

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I boat exclusively on Lavon. It all depends on what direction the wind is blowing. North/south wind is going to limit you to boating around the dam shoreline or island. There is one island on the lake. If it is on a weekend and you have a north/south wind, it will be crowded with boats hanging out. i would say that the amount of calm water is about the same as hubbard since Lavon feeds into Hubbard, its so close and it is oriented the same directions.

there is a lot of activity on the marina side of the lake. Collin park and East Fork marina are fairly busy. I stay away from that side of the lake.

East/west wind will give you more options.

i agree with the mid week trips. when I used to fish heavy, I'd go twice a week during the week and had the whole lake to myself.

I love evening cruises as the water seems to be the calmest.

you can get a corp pass for $30 and go to all the pay boat launches for free for the year..otherwise its $3. There are quite a few free ramps as well, some even have courtesy docks.

anything north of collin park or Tickey Creek will start to get into timber.

the ramps I use the most are Little Ridge, Mallard Park (you have to boat through a small grove of trees), Tickey Creek & Little Ridge. Since I have a corp pass I try to go to the park that have attendant since I have heard of a few problems with car break ins etc.

barman84

Cadet

I live about 2 miles from benbrook lake, theres a lot of underground stumps and nearly no wind cover, it's hit or miss if it's worth riding out there.

I'll have to try out that Granbury lake spot. Despite the Gators, how is lake Worth? I have heard that you have to have some special permit to be on that lake?

No special permit needed for Lake Worth. Just stay of the military installation thats on the South East side of the Lake. Trust me when I say those nice little picnic areas are only meant for military personnal. I have seen more people asked to leave politely then hauled off to jail for a lack of military ID cards to be on that property. However there is absolutely no gas station on that water so get some before heading out.

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool.

Been riding a bunch lately on Benbrook, with this weird Hurricaine weather there has been some calm nights out there.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Tin Top great place to ski. I now live close to Lavon and the mid week fishing trips prove to have calmer water.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Used to do Possum Kingdom, but haven't been in several years. Not sure how crowded it is now, but it was nice 10-12 yrs ago.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 for Eagle Mountain. My 16 year old son love it out there on his wake board!!

spangoli

Recruit

I love Lavon, but it can get choppy. Going out EARLY or during the week you will find much smoother water. Sometimes you can also find an empty cove and have it all to yourself for a better part of the day.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always semed to get lucky on Lavon and finding the empty cove. But I always have the kids so small fish is what we catch, since the kids are young and just learning.