59 Johnson 50 hp reed plates

larryejoh

Cadet
Has anyone heard of using the later syle reed plates on a 58-59 V4 50 hp. The manual I have said for increase fuel mileage on 58-59 50 hp use a 75 hp reed box. The manual said to grind down the corners of the reed boxes to make them fit. I got a set off of a mid 60's 60 hp and all I had to do was grind the bottom corners of the two inboard reed plates. I haven't tried to run it yet. I don't know who makes this manual, it is one you get on EBAY on a CD.

KB1

Seaman
Re: 59 Johnson 50 hp reed plates

A friend of mine told me that the reeds were the reason that they used "MUCHO PETRO" and that other reeds could be used. Can't confirm and never owned one myself (parents boat/motor; my fuel bill at times) early 70's. He never mentioned having to do any mod's though. He talked about the amount of travel back and forth (sucking/ blowing motion?) was the culprit that entered too much fuel into the cyl's, therefore needing the fuel drain sitchiation.

This is all from a conversation 5 yrs. ago to the best of my 58 yr. old cranium stuffing that prob'ly ain't worth this reply, but it sounds good anyway!!!