Merc lube/tool replacements?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Still haven't come across a single thread dealing specifically with this...it would be nice to have info in one place, such as:
1. Common replacements for merc-specific lubes/sealants/etc.
2. Replacements (home made or purchased) for "special" tools.
3. Maintenance items such as oil/fuel filters, spark plugs, etc.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc lube/tool replacements?

It is listed in one place, it's called the Mercruiser maintenance manual, appropriate for your power package.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Still haven't come across a single thread dealing specifically with this...it would be nice to have info in one place, such as:
1. Common replacements for merc-specific lubes/sealants/etc.

I guess 'Merc specific' means just that.

nola mike said:
2. Replacements (home made or purchased) for "special" tools.

Been done... Can't remember when.

nola mike said:
3. Maintenance items such as oil/fuel filters, spark plugs, etc.

Try a local parts shop (or the internet), but the general consensus is that it's easier to buy genuine from a Merc dealer and be done with the hassle of having to find the equivalent and then having to drive to the different shops. You end up spending more on gas than you save on buying the 'cheaper' parts.

Chris......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Most, if not All of that is well covered in the Adults Only section if ya Dig deep enough...

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Original thread

"What replaces Quicksilver Perfect Seal?
Hi,

I cant get the Quicksilver Perfect Seal locally. I cant even find it on the Internet. Please, let me know what can serve as a replacement? Or where to buy the Perfect Seal.

Thanks!

According to Don and others - Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket.

Available at leading Auto Parts stores."

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what your problem is with the perfect seal, Seems you already know the answer.
According to Don and others - Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket.

As far as everything else, come on. If you don't want to use what the OEM recommends, then reserch it and see what is available. Don't expect someone to list all the similar products available for every sealer, tool, and maintenance item for what Merc recommends. Do you know all the work that takes.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Not sure what your problem is with the perfect seal,

My only problem with perfect seal is that it only seems comes in 16 oz cans:mad:, which for me is a 3x lifetime supply, and the solids settle out over time and is a pain to get it all stirred up enough to be usable when I do need a little.:(

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Not sure what your problem is with the perfect seal, Seems you already know the answer.
actually, i didn't.

As far as everything else, come on. If you don't want to use what the OEM recommends, then reserch it and see what is available. Don't expect someone to list all the similar products available for every sealer, tool, and maintenance item for what Merc recommends. Do you know all the work that takes.
not everyone has merc special tool xyz at their disposal, or immediate access to bellows adhesive, perfect seal, or whatever. workarounds for common problems would be appreciated by many. off the top of my head in the last couple of days: pullers for gimble bearings, home made outdrive pressure testers, and perfect seal.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only problem with perfect seal is that it only seems comes in 16 oz cans:mad:, which for me is a 3x lifetime supply, and the solids settle out over time and is a pain to get it all stirred up enough to be usable when I do need a little.:(
Get the permatex aviation sealant at Napa Auto parts. It's about $5 for a little can.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know that NOW, problem is I still have 15 1/2 oz of perfect seal left.:D:D

Uhhhhhh, if you have that much perfect seal, why are you looking for something else????? :confused: Am I missing something here?

achris

...not everyone has merc special tool xyz at their disposal,

Have a look at THIS THREAD for 'homemade' tools

nola mike said:
... pullers for gimble bearings,

http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=2411444&postcount=23

nola mike said:
home made outdrive pressure testers,

http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=1573330&postcount=10

nola mike said:
and perfect seal.

Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket

You're done! :D:D:D

Chris..........

nola mike

Vice Admiral

thanks chris, hadn't seen the 470 tools thread. very nice.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

Does this mean you HAVE seen the others? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well, yes. i've seen a lot of good ideas in many threads, and they can be difficult to find. i was hoping for a one-stop-shopping thread for this kind of thing. i was trying to do something that i thought might be of benefit to everybody...

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will throw my idea out there for someone else to run with and become a millionare. :D

I wish some of the marine specific stuff (such as perfect seal, bellows adhesive, grease) came in those small 1oz tubes like the auto stores have for dielectric grease, thread lock etc...

And better yet, when you buy a bellows kit, it would come with a 1 oz tube of bellows adhesive along with the rest of the kit. Similar to how when you buy brake pads anymore, they frequently come with the stuff to put on the back of the pads to minimize noise and the grease for the caliper pins.

But, as someone stated earlier, I do not expect to have to go looking for Perfect Seal 2-4-C grease, Bellows adhesive, etc... for MANY years since I have the industrial size containers.

achris

I will throw my idea out there for someone else to run with and become a millionare. :D

I wish some of the marine specific stuff (such as perfect seal, bellows adhesive, grease) came in those small 1oz tubes like the auto stores have for dielectric grease, thread lock etc...

And better yet, when you buy a bellows kit, it would come with a 1 oz tube of bellows adhesive along with the rest of the kit. Similar to how when you buy brake pads anymore, they frequently come with the stuff to put on the back of the pads to minimize noise and the grease for the caliper pins.

But, as someone stated earlier, I do not expect to have to go looking for Perfect Seal 2-4-C grease, Bellows adhesive, etc... for MANY years since I have the industrial size containers.

Nice idea... But.....

Most people do not replace their own bellows etc.
If they did put a small tube of whatever in a kit, them it has to be paid for, and most of those sorts of kits are used by boat shop mechanics. They do so many that buying the big tin is preferred.

Chris........

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice idea... But.....

Most people do not replace their own bellows etc.
If they did put a small tube of whatever in a kit, them it has to be paid for, and most of those sorts of kits are used by boat shop mechanics. They do so many that buying the big tin is preferred.

Chris........

OK, new packaging then... A box that says "Bellows kit for Dummys", and it would include a printout from the service manual, along with the hardware, and a couple small tubes of the fluids. :cool:

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you store your form-a-gasket in the 'fridge it won't seperate out...

I have never found boat repair to be like running down to Autozone and picking up a set of brake pads so I can fix my next door neighbor's Buick...

Half of the game is being self reliant and resourceful.... Imagine your boat repair world without the internet.... :eek:

JMHO...

achris

OK, new packaging then... A box that says "Bellows kit for Dummys", and it would include a printout from the service manual, along with the hardware, and a couple small tubes of the fluids. :cool:

Won't happen... The market is just too small....