seeking opinions of early 2/3 hp owners

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I just bought my first boat, a 1966 seaswirl P14. I picked up a cherry 1956 30 hp johnson to push it, but my question is, do you think one of the same vintage 2 or 3 hp's would do okay for a kicker on this boat? I kokanee fish which requires slow trolling, but I would also like to know that it would have enough oomph to get me home in the event of a problem with the main, even if there was a little current or wind. I have been on boats my whole life, and have never ran one of these small engine. I just know the 30 hp will be going too fast at idle, and after a couple hours will be fouling plugs.I have a 4hp yamaha that I used to run on my drift boat, but it wouldn't go slow enough without dragging a bucket on a 16' drift boat so I'm just assuming it'll have the same effect on this 14', too much speed. I'm just looking at other options
-Thank you,
James

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: seeking opinions of early 2/3 hp owners

i would go with a 4hp Deluxe, it has the gear shift the 2 &3 are direct drive.

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. My other issue is room. My transom is set down in a motor well type design, with the johnson centered it doesn't leave a whole lot of room on either side, another reason I was looking at the smaller compact engines. My friend is going to lend me his old seahorse this weekend so ill test that against my 4hp yami if there is room for it and see how it does

robert graham

Admiral

I've run a 3HP Tanaka for 25+ years and it's light(26lbs.),compact, simple, air cooled,very dependable. They don't sell them anymore due to pollution issues, but you can Google them up for around $200 or $300, might be a good option for you. Honda makes a very similar 2HP motor, 28lbs., air cooled, centrifugal clutch drive, 360 degree steering, 4 stroke, about $900 new, very nice. Problem with the Tanaka might be lack of parts, but they don't tear up much and very easy to work on(air cooled),2 stroke.

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice

I actually owned one of those air cooled honda 2hp engines about 5 years ago. other than the fact that it was loud as hell it was actually a pretty good little engine. still wish I had it...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 50s and 60s E/J 3 hp is a heck of a motor.Smooth,relatively quiet.Easy to service a vast array of parts are readily available in hundreds of locations.
64-68 are 50:1 mix.The 4hp is very similar.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

64-68 are 50:1 mix.The 4hp is very similar.

None of the 3 hp and the 4HP through 1977 had fully jeweled engines. It wasn't until 1978 that the 4 HP received the gift of piston and rod needle bearings and a lower crank ball bearing.
For this reason, I'd say run 24:1 through 1977 and 50:1 thereafter.

mrbrink

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for the replies! I'm thinking I'll try to find a vintage 3 hp, I think it would be cool to have 2 reliable classic motors on my classic boat:D