Newbie Boater with 200hp Johnson

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Newbie Boater with 200hp Johnson

You shouldn't have to mix at 40:1, the correct ratio is 50:1. If you don't know when the last water pump was done and when the last time the t-stats were changed, I'd reccomend getting them changed.

Once you get it running you can do a de-carb on it also, just to be on the safe side. Is this the original powerhead on this motor?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

thank you so much,

Im unsure if it is the original powerhead for the boat. Im pretty sure the previous owner was pretty slack with his maintainence, since he wasnt even sure when he last changed the plugs or bottom end fluid, so im sure the water pump and t stats i belive u called them havent been done either. By the way, what is a t stat and how do i go about changing it. Also do u thnk i should change the impellers, ive read that in a few of the posts on here. Thank you again

gregr1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class

5 words: Get Yourself A Service Manual, try to find an omc manual, a little more than a cheap clymers, but WELL worth it! also, try to take care of that lower unit, those pre- '77's are hard to find, i have a '76 200hp, bad lower, can't seem to find one.....

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I just bought a new battery for it since the old one was shot yet im still not getting anything when trying to start it. I checked a little black box which i believe is the solenoid? and there was a 2 amp fuse missing in there so i replaced it but still nothing. there are about 10 wires in the battery are, but the previous owner said all he ever hooked up was the read and black one that are tied together, does this sound right/ Any help would be appreciated, im pulling my hair out trying to start this, ty and happy boating

moser42

Seaman

t-stat = thermostat...tells you the temperature that the engine is running at or the temp of the water that is cooling the motor(same thing), if the motor overheats you'll see it on the temp guage so you can shut her down before you do damage!! If the t-stat is broken then the gauge will not work and you will just keep running it not knowing that its overheating, eventually it will bog down and stall (VERY BAD)

Yes you should change the impellar, its probably not very good if he hasnt changed it in a long time. If you do get it started, check to make sure water is coming out of the pee hole.(this means water pump and impellar are working).

Hope this helps!! good luck.

Pony

Rear Admiral

t-stat = thermostat...tells you the temperature that the engine is running at or the temp of the water that is cooling the motor(same thing), if the motor overheats you'll see it on the temp guage so you can shut her down before you do damage!! If the t-stat is broken then the gauge will not work and you will just keep running it not knowing that its overheating, eventually it will bog down and stall (VERY BAD)

Yes you should change the impellar, its probably not very good if he hasnt changed it in a long time. If you do get it started, check to make sure water is coming out of the pee hole.(this means water pump and impellar are working).

Hope this helps!! good luck.

The thermostat contols the engine temperature.....it does not tell you what that temperature is or mean that there is a temp gauge present. In essense it keeps the engine from running cool, as it will only open when the water reaches a certain temperature.

The reason for replacing this is that they can become stuck closed and then the engine wont cool properly.

If water is coming out of the pee hole, that only means that the pump is moving water.......it doesnt mean it is working properly. The impeller itself can dry rot over time and wears out with use. If it were to come apart when the motor is running it would block cooling passages and overheat the motor. It should be replaced no matter what if it hasnt been already.

I would buy a manual before I did much else. It will give very specific wiring diagrams and the such (get a factory service manual....often on ebay for 10-$15.)

Also I would check compression. If it is bad (less than 100psi or 10%+ variation between cylinders) then you will have to pull the head. You may not what to waste time or funds on the motor if this is the case.

Really it would be a good idea to read "awakening a sleeping outboard" in the FAQ section.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

yes ty Moser, that does help with my definitions. Any other ideas on why im not getting any reaction at all from the motor when i turn the key? Should i be hooking up any wires from the motor at all to my battery or just the 2 from the wiring harness? Theres also a little orange dial by the battery that looks like its for hooking up dual batteries or a kill so that no one can start it if its on lined up properly when docked, should these orange wires be hooked up to the battery? ty , all ur help is great, im trying my best to go at this alone but all ur professional guidance is great, i appreciate it!!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

sorry to bother u all again, but is there any way i can test where my problem is? Applying some sort of multimeter to the battery terminals?
ty, just hope i can start it today, lol

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

ok ty u all anyways, ill get back out in the driveway and see what i can do, wish me luck, lol Chris

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Chris - My advice is to get someone to help you who knows what they are doing or get the shop manual as others have suggested several times. You can fiddle all you like but all you will get most likely is frustrated.

stantheman

Cadet

Chris there is a kill switch up at the controls it has a string that attaches to the driver. this kills the engine if you fall out. make sure it is attached to the button. engine willl not start with out being hooked up.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem on the lake. We found out that the controls are rather picky about neutral. It has to be in neutral to start. Try putting a multimeter on starter where the battery lead (red on mine) attaches. If you don't have power, track the wires back to where you can find it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The kill switch does not prevent the starter from engaging. It does interrupt the ignition to prevent it from starting. The dial you mention is a battery switch. Since you apparently have no idea how it works, do the following. Locate the two large gauge battery cables that come directly from the engine. If they are connected to the battery switch, connect them directly to the battery. Now try it. If it still doesn't work, you need a test light or a multi-tester (Volt, ohm, milliampmeter) to continue troubleshooting. If you have one and don't know how to use it, you need help.