Good Samaritan Towing Regulations?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Last summer I ended up towing someone back to shore after they were having engine trouble. This was on a freshwater reservoir and only towed them about a half mile. My boat is an 18' runabout and the other boat was about a 22' cuddy cabin. He tied off to his bow eye and I to a stern eye using my anchor rope. It was a little choppy and was really surprised by the number of people who sped by us at high speed and actually came quite close to us without slowing down. My wife held up the "swimmer in the water" orange flag but surprisingly, people still came quite close at high speed. I was getting worried that someone would try to cut between us.

I got the other family back to the pier without trouble but was a little concerned that we really didn't know if there was a particular protocol we should have been following. Of course, I learned the expensive lesson about not having a strap on my prescription sunglasses!

I've searched for "vessel towing regulations" but the information seems to pertain more to the professionals and not someone just passing by and helping out. Really looking for good techniques for the average boater. Anyone know where to find more information on how to safely tow another boat?

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Good Samaritan Towing Regulations?

Job well done for doing the right thing and helping a fellow boater, even in the midst of MORONS!

I do the same, stern eyes to bow eye using anchor line @ just above idle speed (1200-1500 rpms). Takes longer, but gets you there safely.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Most "good samaritan" laws pertain to assisting injured persons. They vary from state to state, and are defined by state. A lot of what people hear about them is not accurate.
Generally, when you undertake something like a tow, you owe the person a duty of ordinary care, and should not be held responsible for an injury or property damage unless you are negligent, or don't use ordinary care. So if your line snaps or cleat pulls loose and hits them, you are not liable, unless you did something negligent--like start towing them at full speed, or tie them off to a cleat that you know is going to come loose.
Also the guy you tow assumes some risk, and can be responsible for ordinary care just like you are--if you both underestimate the strength of the line, neither of you is responsible if it breaks.
If you are towing safely and a moron speeds by and causes an injury, the moron, not you, is responsible.

So use good judgment and err on the side of helping people out. But be sure the person you are helping agrees to what you are doing ("Does this rope look OK to you?") unless they are clueless.

PS next time, run a line off BOTH stern eyes to make a harness so you pull his boat in the center of your wake.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI The Coast Guard tows using the stern eye bolt and the bow eye bolts when ever possible. An 3/8" three strand nylon anchor line should be fine towing most vessels on a lake and is second choice to double braided line which is the only line the CG uses. My anchor line is 1/2" three strand nylon. The CG Aux generally tows at 6 knots and always has someone watching the vessel in tow in case something goes wrong like waves coming over the bow of the towed vessel. Everyone in the towed vessel should have a PFD on. They also always have a knife in case they need to cut the towline in an emergency.

If waves are large then you should adjust the towline length so that both vessels are either at the top of the wave or both in the trough at the same time. In my state boaters are supposed to keep 150' from other boats regardless of what is going on or reduce speed to wake less if they cannot. I only wish they knew that law and actually obeyed it.

In my state the good Samaritan law covers a boater who does what a prudent person would do.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Most "good samaritan" laws pertain to assisting injured persons. They vary from state to state, and are defined by state. A lot of what people hear about them is not accurate.
Generally, when you undertake something like a tow, you owe the person a duty of ordinary care, and should not be held responsible for an injury or property damage unless you are negligent, or don't use ordinary care. So if your line snaps or cleat pulls loose and hits them, you are not liable, unless you did something negligent--

You are only exempt only if there is a perial. Broken down and adrift in a lake does not justify a perial in the eyes of the law.

Read this
Good Samaritans get no aid from high court. Civilian rescuers can be sued for injuries from nonmedical care.
December 19, 2008|Carol J. Williams

Being a good Samaritan in California just got a little riskier.The California Supreme Court ruled Thursday that a young woman who pulled a co-worker from a crashed vehicle isn't immune from civil liability because the care she rendered wasn't medical.

The divided high court appeared to signal that rescue efforts are the responsibility of trained professionals. It was also thought to be the first ruling by the court that someone who intervened in an accident in good faith could be sued.

Lisa Torti of Northridge allegedly worsened the injuries suffered by Alexandra Van Horn by yanking her "like a rag doll" from the wrecked car on Topanga Canyon Boulevard.

Torti now faces possible liability for injuries suffered by Van Horn, a fellow department store cosmetician who was rendered a paraplegic in the accident that ended a night of Halloween revelry in 2004.

But in a sharp dissent, three of the seven justices said that by making a distinction between medical care and emergency response, the court was placing "an arbitrary and unreasonable limitation" on protections for those trying to help.

In 1980, the Legislature enacted the Health and Safety Code, which provides that "no person who in good faith, and not for compensation, renders emergency care at the scene of an emergency shall be liable for any civil damages resulting from any act or omission."

Although that passage does not use the word "medical" in describing the protected emergency care, it was included in the section of the code that deals with emergency medical services. By placing it there, lawmakers intended to shield "only those persons who in good faith render emergency medical care at the scene of a medical emergency," Justice Carlos R. Moreno wrote for the majority.

The high court cited no previous cases involving good Samaritan actions deemed unprotected by the state code, suggesting the challenge of Torti's rescue effort was the first to narrow the scope of the law.

The three dissenting justices argued, however, that the aim of the legislation was clearly "to encourage persons not to pass by those in need of emergency help, but to show compassion and render the necessary aid."
Justice Marvin R. Baxter said the ruling was "illogical" because it recognizes legal immunity for nonprofessionals administering medical care while denying it for potentially life-saving actions like saving a person from drowning or carrying an injured hiker to safety.

"One who dives into swirling waters to retrieve a drowning swimmer can be sued for incidental injury he or she causes while bringing the victim to shore, but is immune for harm he or she produces while thereafter trying to revive the victim," Baxter wrote for the dissenters. "Here, the result is that defendant Torti has no immunity for her bravery in pulling her injured friend from a crashed vehicle, even if she reasonably believed it might be about to explode."

Both opinions have merit, "but I think the majority has better arguments," said Michael Shapiro, professor of constitutional and bioethics law at USC.
Shapiro said the majority was correct in interpreting that the Legislature meant to shield doctors and other healthcare professionals from being sued for injuries they cause despite acting with "reasonable care," as the law requires.

Noting that he would be reluctant himself to step in to aid a crash victim with potential spinal injuries, Shapiro said the court's message was that emergency care "should be left to medical professionals."
Torti's liability has yet to be determined in court, and if the Legislature is unhappy with any judgment arising from the immunity denial, it can revise the code, he concluded.

Torti, Van Horn and three other co-workers from a San Fernando Valley department store had gone out to a bar on Halloween for a night of drinking and dancing, departing in two cars at 1:30 a.m., the justices noted as background.

Van Horn was a front-seat passenger in a vehicle driven by Anthony Glen Watson, whom she also sued, and Torti rode in the second car. After Watson's car crashed into a light pole at about 45 mph, the rear car pulled off the road and driver Dion Ofoegbu and Torti rushed to help Watson's two passengers escape the wreckage.

Torti testified in a deposition that she saw smoke and liquid coming from Watson's vehicle and feared the car was about to catch fire. None of the others reported seeing signs of an imminent explosion, and Van Horn said in her deposition that Torti grabbed her arm and yanked her out "like a rag doll."
Van Horn's suit alleges negligence by Torti in aggravating a vertebrae injury suffered in the crash, causing permanent damage to the spinal cord.
Neither Torti nor her attorney, Ronald D. Kent, could be reached immediately. Kent's Los Angeles law office said he was in meetings on the East Coast and may not have seen the decision.

Van Horn's attorney, Robert B. Hutchinson, disputed the notion that the ruling could have a chilling effect on laymen coming to the rescue of the injured. Good Samaritan laws have been on the books for centuries and state that "if a person volunteers to act, he or she must act with reasonable care," Hutchinson said.

"Ms. Torti ran up in a state of panic, literally grabbed Ms. Van Horn by the shoulder and yanked her out, then dropped her next to the car," he said, deeming Torti's assessment of an imminent explosion "irrational" and her action in leaving Van Horn close to the car inconsistent with that judgment.
Hutchinson said it was too early to say what sum Van Horn might seek in damages; her original suit was summarily dismissed in Los Angeles County Superior Court before he could arrange expert assessments of the costs of her life care and loss of potential income. It was her ambition to become a Hollywood makeup artist -- a dream no longer achievable, the lawyer said.
Torti's trial at the Chatsworth courthouse is expected next year.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

There have been lots of discussions about towing those in need, and they always generate a diverse range of opinions! :D

I think you did a great thing. I've towed at least one stranded boater in for the past few years, and I've never regretted it. I hope it never gets to the point that I am too scared to help when I can. I have a harness that I use to pull our 4 person tube, it clips to the D rings and does a great job. I've used it to pull boats, but used a single D ring before I had it. I use plenty of rope and go sloooooooow.

I also use a floating strap for all my glasses, even the cheapies :).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Here in Pa, as I understand it, ALL persons in the towed boat must WEAR a pfd while under tow. If they do not, the tower is liable for the citation issued by our overzealous water police.

I have towed more than a couple of people, and some have offered me money. My standard reply is: I have been towed myself. Next time you see someone needing a tow, pass my help on.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As to the California case, this is correct as to the overall standard: "if a person volunteers to act, he or she must act with reasonable care," That doesn't mean you are responsible for anything that goes wrong.

When the courts apply a Good Samaritan law, they have to follow the wording. The well-reasoned dissent shows a better application, IMO, and the decision is why California law is often distained in other states! Anyway, as I said above, it's a law that pertains to personal injury--not a tow boat circumstances.

Towing from a stern eye is fine but it's better to tow from both of them (unless it's in the center); that was my point and I bet that's how the Coasties and other LEO's do it if they don't have a towing post in center. Also, I use my ski/tube harness for a towing harness when I have it on board (my last was a winter night time pull of two guys in a jon boat with a dead trolling motor, outgoing tide, mouth of the bay.) I just make one in the hunting/fishing boats.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good job pirate, I hope no one here is willing to leave a stranded boater stuck because of the laws and being sued!!

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good job pirate, I hope no one here is willing to leave a stranded boater stuck because of the laws and being sued!!

I agree 100%. I have been towed at least once a season since I have been a boat owner (last 7 years) and each person has always refused payment. Always pay it forward...

skargo

Banned

FYI The Coast Guard tows using the stern eye bolt and the bow eye bolts when ever possible. An 3/8" three strand nylon anchor line should be fine towing most vessels on a lake and is second choice to double braided line which is the only line the CG uses. My anchor line is 1/2" three strand nylon. The CG Aux generally tows at 6 knots and always has someone watching the vessel in tow in case something goes wrong like waves coming over the bow of the towed vessel. Everyone in the towed vessel should have a PFD on. They also always have a knife in case they need to cut the towline in an emergency.

If waves are large then you should adjust the towline length so that both vessels are either at the top of the wave or both in the trough at the same time. In my state boaters are supposed to keep 150' from other boats regardless of what is going on or reduce speed to wake less if they cannot. I only wish they knew that law and actually obeyed it.

In my state the good Samaritan law covers a boater who does what a prudent person would do.

Great post, thanks!

The only thing I will ad is the boating safety course here says you must offer assistance, as long as you are not putting yourself in danger. Not knowing the proper way to tow safely would qualify.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

After the California case that DINGBAT spelled out some tried to take advantage of the court decision.
Some were flagging down boat for help and then while under tow would fall down and fake an injury then SUE.

At this point even the Coast Guard AUX would no longer tow unless the Active Coast Guard gave them a case and persimition to tow.

As a rseult of this problem the California ASSEMBLY pass several laws to try and correct the problem. These laws were signed into law by Arnold.

The main bill AB 83 restored most of the parts of the GOOD SAMARITAN Law but ther is still one thing to be carefull about. It only cover you if you do not charge or accept any compensition.

I attach a few links for those that want to read the entire thing.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/ab_83_cfa_20090310_171015_asm_comm.html

http://www.cjac.org/blog/2009/08/governor-signs-bills-to-protec/

http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a42/newsroom/20090609AD42PR01.htm

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/Bills/AB_83/

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

My understanding is also that once you hook up to another boat you assume responsibility for the boat and everyone in it. I've towed people pretty far before but I've also run into situations where if it was me I wouldn't have hooked to the boat.

Once I was about 35 miles offshore with my boss in a 21' Seapro SV2100cc and a 26' Parker flagged us over and asked for a tow. The captain of the boat was a charter captain (my first thought was he should have had seatow) and we broke 3 ropes trying to set the tow because the boat was so heavy. We pulled him for about 2.5 hours when he let us know that another charter captain was going to come try to get him on top (plane) and if he could do it we could go but if not he would appreciate us keeping on the tow. About the time the other guide said he couldn't get him up and took off we let him know our gas was getting low and that he needed to call for a tow. Sudden;y he had a seatow membership that he used.

Had it been my boat I would have offered assistance, removed any and all passengers from the boat to take to shore, given gas or a jump, really whatever needed to be done including waiting with them for a towboat but there was no way in hell I would have hooked my lightweight bay boat to a boat that big. Especially seeing as how any guide worth his salt should have a seatow membership where all he would be out was a call to get towed back in. My boss acted like I was in the wrong for saying that but a quick search let me know I wasn't the only one in that frame of mind.

Every situation is different, but in that one I would have done everything possible to help them that did not include hooking to the other boat. If we had blown out motor the captain wouldn't have compensated one bit. As a matter of fact, even though we would have turned it down he didn't even offer one red cent for our 2.5 hours of tow.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree with you, overdrive; not that I would categorically abandon a commercial vessel, but that's a different circumstance, all things being equal. He sure as h would not have cancelled his charter to tow you in! If he can't anchor, standing by for sea tow (or just fishing within sight) would be a good deed, or maybe running a passenger or two to shore when you leave if you're going the same way.

So here's something I learned: before offering a long tow, ask the guy if he has tow insurance or a service.

nlain

Commander

Where I am you are to render assistance as long as you do not endanger yourself or passengers, assistance can be anything from standing by until help arrives to towing the disabled vessel your self. Trying to tow something that breaks three ropes is putting all in danger, that is where you call for assistance and stand by untill they arrive.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get them to safety, if just to the closet dock, so they can call for help. i highly advise seatow, towboat, or the like. i have seen it where the tow companies cannot get to you for several hours, then get a tow to safety. and wait for you service. had to be towed twice one weekend.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I had'nt considered the issue of liability or even of damage to my own boat. The other issues of safely towing is what I was looking for. Looks like common sense goes a long way but it may be elusive if you haven't been in the situation yourself. Having a bridle with some floats on it makes sense as does using a rope instead of a cable so you can cut or release it rapidly if need be. Hadn't thought of everyone on board wearing a PFD while towing but it makes perfect sense now.

I was wondering if there was a specific flag to be displayed while towing but realized that on a typical inland lake, most of the other pleasure boaters wouldn't know what it meant anyway.

What I've really learned is that a class by the local power squadron might be a pretty darned good idea. We have the mandatory boating coarse here but don't remember anything about towing from that.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

USCG Reg. 23.401-a: The vessel being towed shall display a white or black pole from 6 to 9 feet in length, from the center of the transom, held by a passenger at a 60 to 45 degree angle from the transom. The pole shall have at least 3 and no more than 6 eyelets, through which a monofilament line is run. The terminal end of said line shall be affixed to a metal or plastic device, either shiny or colored, and dragged at least 75' behind the vessel. The bitter end of said device shall be attached to a winch or other retrieval mechanism operated by hand. If there are two (2) passengers on the vessel being towed, each may hold a similar device, one from the port quarter of the stern and one from the starboard. All fish caught with such devices shall be shared with the captain of the towing vessel.

That is all.