I can smell it!

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, weird title, but I bet you can relate.

Note: my location is cold north...in winter everything just smells cold.

It is 9 C (48F) here today. I pulled the cover off the boat and it smelled like 'lake'.

I instantly felt nostalgic, blood pressure dropped a few beats....

Expidia

Commander
Re: I can smell it!

I hope you don't plan on having a passenger, because one is as bad as "smells like fish" :D

OOps, I mis-read your post. I thought you were coming up with that name for your boat :)

gss036

Commander

Don't know what your lake water smells like, hope it is not mold. It is 49 degrees here today the Pacific NW w/20kt winds. There was still a few boats out bucking the chop, we fish year round here in the salt water regardless of the temp. Just depends how tolerant you are, me as I get older, I like it warmer but will still fish at 40 degrees w/o any wind. I do have a mUstang jump suit like the coasties wear.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Alright, maybe I'm alone on this....wouldn't be the first time.

Today the first day warm enough to heat the vinyl and carpet. Those 'summer' smells collected under the tarp smelled great....not bad at all.

Can't wait to get this boat wet!

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

no, your not alone on it. Every time i pull off my cover im greeted with the somewhat stuffy vinyl smell.....and it all comes back to me. Its not a bad smell, just what the boat smells like. I completely understand what your saying.

Expidia

Commander

Alright, maybe I'm alone on this....wouldn't be the first time.

Today the first day warm enough to heat the vinyl and carpet. Those 'summer' smells collected under the tarp smelled great....not bad at all.

Can't wait to get this boat wet!

Haha, I know what you mean. I put all my equipment back on the boat last weekend waiting for the temp to get back into the 50-60 range. Most places where I go don't get their ramps in until around April 15th.

I didn't catch the boat's smell because I had placed a bunch of paper plates all around the lockers and floors with a sheet of bounce on each plate to keep the critters out and not chewing on my wires. So the boat smelt like my electric clothes dryer when I removed the winter tarp.

But when I pulled the trailerable cover out of the big rubbermaid storage box and spread it over the boat it did smell like SUMMER!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, the "warm boat interior" fragrance. Can't beat it in spring !!!!

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fer sure it was a gorgeous day here in east-Man as well!

I picked up 21' Sylvan I/O a few weeks ago, a trailer last week, and it was nice enough to spend the day in the boat ripping out rotten seats, carpet, and figuring out how I am going to patch the sole to get through the first season. I expect to be back in there today :D

(I am going to re-do the interior next winter but want one season aboard to figure out what changes I want.)

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, weird title, but I bet you can relate.

Note: my location is cold north...in winter everything just smells cold.

It is 9 C (48F) here today. I pulled the cover off the boat and it smelled like 'lake'.

I instantly felt nostalgic, blood pressure dropped a few beats....

I had a similar experience today myself but I wouldn't go far with that cover if I were you.:eek: Since we have much of the same weather patterns give or take a few degrees.:D Still plenty of time for another crap storm in these parts.:(

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I stored my boat in a heated garage with a bunch of limos and charter busses this season. I know of which smell your referring to, I look forward to pealing back the cover this year.

As far as snow goes, I was rather disappointed this year. I haven't had a storm since the beginning of February, and even then it was only a few inches. My yearly average of snow fall is 90".....I'm at 39" at this point :eek:. I bought a new $6000 snow plow this year...go figure :rolleyes:. Disappointment has since come and gone and anticipation and spring fever have arisen. The Maine Boat Builders and Maine Boat shows are this coming weekend. I can't wait to get to the boat launch! :D

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the smell of boat. Every time I open my garage door I can smell it....lake, faint smell of gas and oil...can't wait to launch....Hamilton Harbour will likely be the first launch. The Grand River in Caledonia makes me nervous early season....too much crap floating around to knock my prop off.....