What would you do?

Hello group,
Just acquired a small fishing boat with a 25 horse Mercury. Believe its an early 90's outboard. Been sitting for 7-8 yrs. I am wondering before I try seeing if it runs,(a friend has muffles), I plan on removing gas/oil and refilling with new, a new spark plug after putting some oil in cylinder and manually pulling motor over slowly to prevent scoring. Is there anything I am missing, especially regarding the lower unit. Have no idea about its fluids. I have mechanical ability and have adequate tools for mechanics on the motor, just never owned one before. Thanks for the help.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What would you do?

Give it a try,If it seems to run ok and pump water I would still replace the impeller and rebuild the carb at a minimum

Thanks achris and Ensign,
My 25 hp Mercury (#C118911) is fighting me tooth and nail when it comes to replacing the impeller. I have the four bolts off the LU and it dropped down a good inch, but that is it. There are no other bolts, I checked under the trim tab. I can move the LU horizontally side to side, but cannot get it to full drop. Seloc is no help, so what do you guys know on what I am missing. I am still trying to pound out the steering cable, if no go, Ill just cut it and replace it. Its all I need to finish before I can test the "sleeping " unit. Thanks for the help.

Jody

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... Seloc is no help, ...

Now there's a surprise!!

Bin the seloc... Get the genuine...

Did you remove the locking pin at the top of the shift shaft, under the carb?

Chris.......

Could you also recheck your serial number. That one is showing up as a 9.9/15hp

Chris,
Dyslexia is setting in, how 'bout C119811. No I didnt, as I knew not. I will tackle that this morning and say thank you. I know I will have this all done and running when the ups man delivers my manual. Thanks again ! :)
Jody

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Chris,
Dyslexia is setting in, how 'bout C119811. No I didnt, as I knew not. I will tackle that this morning and say thank you. I know I will have this all done and running when the ups man delivers my manual. Thanks again ! :)
Jody

That's better, 1989.... Electric start, long shaft, yes?

Chris......