Johnson Outboard Starting Issue

Hello,
I have a 1998 Johnson 4HP Model # J4BRECJ engine that I cannot start. It looks to be in great condition and the engine looks immaculate. I am not sure that I am using the right methods to start it as I am not quite sure how the choke works on it. It has a knob that turns to a gas tank symbol or to a crossed out gas tank symbol. It has a partially open choke symbol below it to the left that you cannot turn the knob to. The gas is adjusted on the handle by twisting it. I can get it to start, but it will just rev up and then cut off. The vent on the gas cap is open. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they are greatly welcome. Thank you in advance and God bless.

Matthew

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson Outboard Starting Issue

Fresh fuel 50:1?
Plugs clean and correctly gapped 0.030"

Turn the knob to open the fuel valve, pull it to close the choke. Should start with choke closed and a bit of throttle. May have to play with the choke a bit to keep it running while it warms up, but should be pushed back in as soon as possible

There's a slow running needle that's accessed by removing the plug in the air silencer cover but don't mess with it unnecessarily.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Check this link out for all the information you need.
Excellent though the link is it does not explain how to operate the combined fuel valve and choke control on this little motor. It's not knowing how that operates is the Op's trouble I think.

Well his basic trouble is of course he presumably does not have that essential bit of kit called "Operators Manual"

Matthew ... get yourself a copy of the owners operating manual!

I have searched high and low for an owners manual online, but unable to locate one. Do you have any suggestions about where I could find one?

Thank you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you try pulling on the knob? Turning it turns the fuel on and off to prevent leakage during transit. Pulling the know may activate the choke and pushing it back in opens it.

I have not pulled out the motor while trying to start it. Is that the way the choke is activated? That is what we could not figure out. I have tried looking at that site for a manual, but cannot find it there.