115 Lower cowling removal?

GatorMike

Ensign
While I am waiting on my crankcase to get back from the machine shop I thought I would clean up and touch up the lower cowling. My repair manual does not cover how to remove the cowling, I notice no matter how you turn it it will not come up over the engine mounts. Do you have to remove the adapter plate at the top of the midsection to get that cowling off? If so are there just the 6 bolts you can see from the top to remove that plate?

UGLandrum

Cadet
Re: 115 Lower cowling removal?

I think your model is the last model that has the same cowling and LU as mine, that is if yours is 70's or 80's.
I understand what your going through, my 75' 85hp Johnson has the same problem, I cannot get the lower cowl off, I removed the u-shaped bracket w/ gasket on it and still could not pull it off, said a few choice naughty words and stopped, cooled off, and looked a bit more, and smacked my forehead and said duh! I cannot get the cowl off upward because of the motor, and not downwards because the tilt and steering junk are still in the way. I was tempted to cut the cowl in half on each side and add a gasket to the edges so I could pull the lower cowling off without removing anything. But right about as I was typing that last sentence I realized you must have more taken apart than I do, I cannot get the mid section to come apart from the motor. So now I am not going to dismantle the major components due to the fact that they will not separate and I do not want to get myself in to deep and end up loosing another essential part again. Don't get me wrong I am confident in my ability, I just have no money at the moment if I find something that needs to be replaced internally. I already lost the connector that screws on top of the shift rod. Then I snagged a gasket loop sticking out the side of the intake heads and ripped out about 6 inches of gasket! :eek: Well crap, I guess I need to order it and put it in myself to save labor costs, and on top of all that my shifter box is shot.

GatorMike

Ensign

UGLandrum, excuse me if I stay away from your ideas. I am not cutting the cowling in half. It's kind of funny but right before reading this I read your thread on replacing a powerhead with a lawnmower engine. Although I respect your enginuity I want no part of butchering my outboard.

UGLandrum

Cadet

UGLandrum, excuse me if I stay away from your ideas. I am not cutting the cowling in half. It's kind of funny but right before reading this I read your thread on replacing a powerhead with a lawnmower engine. Although I respect your ingenuity I want no part of butchering my outboard.

I don't see anything I've written to invoke a reaction like that sir...

UGLandrum

Cadet

I still think those OB's should have had a split lower cowl, its a good idea to add it (if you work on your own OB), it would be a great stress relief when we need to access hard to get to parts on the motor or something, as long as it would look professional, I would do it.