ignition switches - four position to a three position?

glostah

Cadet
Hey,

Does anybody want to help me through changing my four position push to choke ignition switch to a three position? My question is basically, where do I connect the Accessory nodes?

Thanks.

glostah

Cadet
Re: ignition switches - four position to a three position?

so I wired the new ignition and got the boat started, however the gauges don't work - which I am assuming is the accessory hookup problem I had. The other is that the engine won't stop when I go to the off position. I have to use the choke to kill the engine.

The old iginition had the following terminals: A (Accessory), I (Ignition), M (magneto), S (solenoid), C (choke), B (battery)

The new ignition is has these terminals: I (Ignition), M (magneto), S (solenoid), C (choke), B (battery), and then another M terminal that was shaped differently.

So my question now is, what is the second M terminal for, and again, where do I hook up the accessory lead?

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Accessory goes to I
Assuming you have CD iginiton, the second M terminal is grounded.
But if you have an old Magneto igniton twin, there are two black wires, each going to an M terminal.

glostah

Cadet

Thanks Imported.

There was only one black wire for the magneto on the old ignition. I ran another ground wire from the second magneto terminal to the ground block under the console, but the engine still keeps running after the key is turned to the off position.

Any tips? Am I wrong in thinking that running a lead from one magneto terminal to the other will kill the magneto circuit in the 'off' position? I have a very rudimentary understanding of the whole magneto thing, so please forgive my stupidity.

Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The setup depends on what engine you have. What is the model number of that engine?

glostah

Cadet

it's an old Johnson V6, early eighties. I'll get the model number from the block

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is an early eighties V6, you need the standard "M" connected to an engine ground and the other "M" connected to the black and yellow kill wire running to the power packs. Both wires should be within the harness.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yep.... What Zeke said.

glostah

Cadet

Model number: 1AALCNF

On the old switch the black and yellow (black with yellow stripe) wire was connected to the solenoid node. So if I connect the black and yellow wire to the other magneto ground on the new switch, do I just leave the solenoid node open?

Thanks for all your help!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The S on the ignition switch connection is for the starter solenoid; it is powered only when you turn the key to the start position, so when you let go of the key the ignition switch returns to run automatically.

The setup will be about like this diagram:

Attachments

• Ignition Switch2.JPG
    Ignition Switch2.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

glostah

Cadet

Thanks for that, but now I'm really confused because that does not look like either of the ignitions that I have. The one I am installing has M,C,I,S,B,M and the one in your diagram has M,C,A,S,B,M. Are you telling me that the Accessory and the Ignition nodes are basically the same thing? Also, the only black and yellow wire I have was connected to the solenoid on the original igniton and the current one, so am I looking for another black and yellow wire?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Black and yellow was and is the kill wire connected to the power pack on larger OMC/BRP J/E motors running back to the early seventies. If it was or were connected to anything else, it was/is a mistake.

I or A; Does not matter what you call it, when the ignition switch is in the "run" or "start" position I or A have 12 Volts positive voltage for your low amperage accessories such as gauges and gauge lights

glostah

Cadet

OK. Thanks. I'm going to disconnect the black/yellow from the S node and attach to the second M and see what happens.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you had the "Black/Yellow" wire connected to the "S" terminal of the ignition switch, every time you turned the key to the "Start" position, you threw 12 volts to the powerpack....... and this normally destroys the powerpack.

glostah

Cadet

This was a previously enjoyed vessel, so anything is possible... How long would it take to destroy a power pack by doing this?

Also what do I do about the open solenoid node? I can't imagine a starter with no solenoid, but it's possible on this boat :)