Recommendations for a Jumpbox?

mhensley

Cadet
I recently purchased a Monterey 180 F/S which only comes with 1 battery. I'd like to hear recommendations for a jumpbox (battery charger) that I can take along with us when we go out...Any experience using these? Any good recommendations? I'd like to not "break the bank" when purchasing one since i'll only be carrying/using it in case of emergencies. I'm assuming they have kinds which I can charge at home, and bring along in a duffle bag on the boat and "jump" the battery should that become necessary. Thanks!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Recommendations for a Jumpbox?

Do you have room for a second battery?

mhensley

Cadet

I would assume so, (I've got the sundeck seating which has a lot of storage underneath...but then because I'm new to boating I would assume I'd have to pay someone to install a 2nd battery, including a switch, etc..this is only an 18' boat and will be for Lake boating only, so I"m not sure if i REALLY need a 2nd battery..perhaps I should..

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

costco has one that i purchased last fall its about 70.00. its great I had a bad battery in may car that i have jump 8-10 times and still haven't recharged unit. come spring it will go with me on the boat. i'll post name and model later. i'll even get you a picture. stay away from small black and decker type,had one it was usless. most auto parts store carry them but they're over a $100.00. I have had many types over the years, i was an auto tech. this is the best for the buck that i have found

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Diehard jump box from Sears. Its got a light, compressor, 2 - 12V outlets, and 2 - 110 AC plug ins. Oh.... and it will jump a dead battery.

I use it to blow up car tires, inflatables, power the 12V blender, etc, etc...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

A second battery is nice to have but for a day boat it might not be cost effective.

Anyway, I have 2 jumpboxes. They both do their job but here's my opinions.
The newest one is a Vector bought at (now-defunct) Boaters World. I would NOT recommend that brand because it generally seems to be cheaply made. Also, there's no provision for onboard storage of the 12V and 120V charging cords.
OTOH, I have an old Penske brand box I bought years ago at K-Mart. I really like the fact that it has storage compartments for both charging cords- they won't get lost! This box isn't amp-rated as high as the Vector but it's never failed me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the best thing you can do is keep your battery constantly fully charged. a battery minder once fully charged, will keep it maintained. what cause batteries to die are not keeping charged, loose connections. also start your boat before leaving home. if you have a dead cell in a battery, it will be questionable if a jump box will start you anyway.

mhensley

Cadet

i'm sure i'll be learning all of this as time goes on, however isn't it dangerous to start your boat outside the water? Perhaps you can start the boat at home to see if the battery is charged and quickly turn the boat off? My apologies, will be learning all about this in the next couple of months. Thank you in advance.

mhensley

Cadet

And you also mention a battery "minder"? Can you explain? Do you remove your battery from your boat each time you're out of the water and keep it charged through a particular product (i.e. a battery charger)? Thanks!

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

i'm sure i'll be learning all of this as time goes on, however isn't it dangerous to start your boat outside the water? Perhaps you can start the boat at home to see if the battery is charged and quickly turn the boat off? My apologies, will be learning all about this in the next couple of months. Thank you in advance.

Never never never never ever start a boat without muffs hooked up. You'll fry the impeller in less than 10 seconds.

I typically charge my battery if my boats been sitting for 2 weeks or longer. Its hardly ever low, but it makes me feel better... :)

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

battery minder, is a small trickle type charger that senses when battery is fully charger. and stops charging. even though its still connected. and will resume charging if when needed. you could leave your battery hooked to this all winter. also if a battery had a dead cell, a jumper would still start most engines, just disconnect bad battery and run off jump box. hers a picture of costco jump box

Attachments

• 02112010 014.jpg
    02112010 014.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 02112010 015.jpg
    02112010 015.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best Jumpbox I have ever owned. The Jump-N-Carry 660. I never leave port without it....