1982 evinrude 90 v 4 bogging underload help please

hey i am having issues with my 82 evinrude 90 v 4 basically i just got this boat last week and when i put in at the boat ramp all was well other than it was having a idle issue in neutral but as i gave the motor more throttle the boats starts to speed up then it bogs out i am unable to get to speed to even plane off
i so far have replaced the fuel line and the fuel pump and i also tried multiple external tanks and problem still occurs. but since the replacements it does do better and better after i changed the line and pump. but
now im out of ideas can anyone help? i also cleaned the carb.thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 evinrude 90 v 4 bogging underload help please

What are the results of your compression test and spark test?

What spark plugs are you using?

Are you using fresh fuel mixed 50:1 with good quality TC-W3 outboard oil?

What is the pitch of your propeller and what HP is your boat rated for?

Often what is described as bogging is caused by air leaks in the fuel system.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

back to basics.

Compression, spark, fuel.

Compression should be about the same on all four (within 5 or 7% or so), spark should jump a 7/16" gap at cranking speed on an inline spark tester clipped to the engine block (spark plugs out).

Unless by "cleaned the carb" you mean "disassembled, soaked metal parts overnight in carb cleaner, blew compressed air through all the orfices, reassembled with new carb kits, reinstalled, adjusted slow speed needles, linked & synced", then you aren't done with the carbs yet.

Brand new gas good oil same old 50 to 1 ratio compression is 138 all within 10 on all 4 cylenders.
i do not know the brand of the spark plug but i pulled them they looked good. now how can i test them
i dont have any equipment for spark plug or timing light. and i did not disasemble the carb and soak
it ill do that tommorow. any more possibilties?

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brand new gas good oil same old 50 to 1 ratio compression is 138 all within 10 on all 4 cylenders.
i do not know the brand of the spark plug but i pulled them they looked good. now how can i test them
i dont have any equipment for spark plug or timing light. and i did not disasemble the carb and soak
it ill do that tommorow. any more possibilties?

(1) Purchase an OEM service manual for your outboard (Ken Cook books or Ebay)

(2) Start by reading the top secret files : http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Welcome to Iboats.com

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Put a little steady pressure on the primer bulb and look for fuel leaks, especially under the carburetors; if the fuel leaks out, air can and will get in, causing the engine to run rough and lean.

The high speed jets lie horizontally in the bottom of the carburetor float bowls where they pick up any junk that comes in with the fuel. You can flush the float bowls by removing the plugs one at a time and squeezing the primer bulb, but eventually you should rebuild the carburetors with new kits. The crossflow carburetors are among the easiest to rebuild - the hardest part is getting them off and on.

The factory service manual for 1982 is large and expensive; You might want to look on Ebay for a used one. http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

inline spark tester, couple bucks at car parts store, to test the ignition system, not the spark plugs.

set the gap at 7/16", clip it to the engine block, attach the spark plug leads (one at a time), and look for a strong spark across the gap while somebody turns the engine over with the key.