Decarbonize Chain saw and small 2 cycle motors?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone have any expertise in decarbonizing small 2cycle motors?
I was wondering if seafoam could be used for this job? Or if there is a product designed for these motors?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Decarbonize Chain saw and small 2 cycle motors?

Sea foam will work, mercury tuner will work or even the Johnson/Evinrude tuner will work.

Same way as a two stroke outboard......... gut it running and bring the rpms up (not too much) and then spray into the carb... the saw will smoke and run it until smoke clears and do it a few times like that.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

A little water with the same procedure will yeild the same results.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Get the saw hot, put a shot/drip of ATF down the throtle venturie, dont let it stall.

j_martin

Admiral

A little water in a chain saw will score the pistons in a heartbeat. That's why I don't ever set a running saw down in loose snow. (any more)

If a chain saw is in good tune and run properly, it shouldn't carbon up.

Running properly is full throttle with enough load to keep it from 4 cycling at or near top rpm. On modern saws the 4 cycling is used as a rev limiter.

hope it helps
John

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Also to add, with our saws that get used alot, I have always used premium fuel and high quality 2 stroke mix.
The only thing I have to do is clean out the fine cedar saw dust that plugs up every thing every couple of weeks, if the fins on the head are all plugged up its not cooling very good.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Also if your oil fuel mix is not correct and the carb settings are off, the spark arrester in the muffler can get plugged off and the engine will not perform properly . this will occur in most of the smaller 2cycle engines. The worst thing you can do is lug them they are meant to run at a high R P M . I have seen them plugged off so bad that they would not start. Clean the muff and you are good to go.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I've been doing 4-stroke motors for years that way,...
Don't think it'd be that great of an idea with a 2-stroke though...
Water through the crankcase can't be a Good thing...

In my experince,... Chainsaws are usually run Flat Out most of the time,...
When runnin' Quality gas,+ oil,.... Carbon build-up shouldn't be a Problem...

robert graham

Admiral

I put a shot of Ringfree in my chainsaw,blower/weedeater gas, so far, so good. The spark arrester screens and exhaust ports seems to be the parts that can carbon up, and the easiest to clean. A wire brush works great on those screens. Plugged screens can shut down the motors. Good Luck!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for your replies!
I disassembled the exhaust on my chain saws and lo and behold there was a lot of burnt left-overs caked on the spark arestor screens and exhaust ports. Cleaned up with a wire brush, resembled and tested.
Saws are running good now, and I plan to clean them regularly in the future.
I never had a problem with them until lately after cutting a bunch of cedar. That fine dust gets into everything and sticks.
When I get the boat ready in the spring, I will "spray"Evinrude tune the boat motor and the chain saws. Thanks for all your help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sea Foam or any of the "tuner" sprays have petroleum oils in the formula that will provide the lubrication as they get burned off. I would hesitate on the water which might cause damage.

Yes the exhaust ports are very important and usually the screening takes the beating and build up of crud. I tend to run my saws a bit heavy on oil even though I have to clean more often I like them running.