Fuel Oil mix ??

NotSure

Cadet
First of all I'd like to say thank you to all that responded to my questions a few weeks ago about a 1963 5.5 fisherman I picked up. $80 later and this motor is unreal! Runs through the weeds like their not even there and will plain my gheenoe with two of us in it. I use it to duck hunt.

My question is my machanic told me that the 50:1 mix would be fine because back in 1963 the oil isn't what it is now, I use Quicksilver. Well at 50:1 she smokes pretty good at an idle but hasn't fouled a plug so far in 5 trips. Should I keep it at that mix or use a little less oil?

Thanks in advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Oil mix ??

Go to a 24:1 mix, NotSure. That is what is specified by BRP for '63 OMC products using modern TC-W3 oil.

It doesn't matter whether you use Quicksilver or another TC-W3 Certified oil, it will just cost you more than, for example, Pennzoil or SuperTech.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First of all I'd like to say thank you to all that responded to my questions a few weeks ago about a 1963 5.5 fisherman I picked up. $80 later and this motor is unreal! Runs through the weeds like their not even there and will plain my gheenoe with two of us in it. I use it to duck hunt.

My question is my machanic told me that the 50:1 mix would be fine because back in 1963 the oil isn't what it is now, I use Quicksilver. Well at 50:1 she smokes pretty good at an idle but hasn't fouled a plug so far in 5 trips. Should I keep it at that mix or use a little less oil?

Thanks in advance!

I hope that is a typo. You aren't really thinking of using less than 50:1 are you? You will raise a big arguement, even considering 50:1.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the smoke bugs you (I love the smell of TC-W3 in the morning) spend the extra bux to use a full synthetic, but stick with the specified ratio for your engine: 24:1

NotSure

Cadet

Well, 24:1 is more oil than 50:1 and seeing how it smokes (blue in color) with the 50:1 I figgured that 24:1 would smoke even worse?? Am I not on the right train of thought here? I understand that the factory mix calls for 24:1 but I have been told by several folks that oil back then doesn't compare to today's oil. I have a 85 6hp johnson that requires 50:1 and I share one tank between the two motors. Please keep in mind I'm just going off of what I've been told by a couple of guys that work on boat engines and I"m coming on here to get your thoughts.

SO, should I:

A- mix it 24:1 and go with it no matter how bad it smokes?

or

B- Keep mixing it 50:1 or a little less?

Thanks again!

NotSure

Cadet

If the smoke bugs you (I love the smell of TC-W3 in the morning) spend the extra bux to use a full synthetic, but stick with the specified ratio for your engine: 24:1

It doesn't really bother me to smell, I just don't want to foul a plug. I guess I need to buy another tank and just mix 24:1 regardless of the smoke. Will Quicksilver work? the reason I ask is because I can get it easier than any other oil out where I live and I hate going to town.

Thanks again!

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say 24:1 to. Yes oils are different today but so are motors. The older motors don't have the bearings and seals of newer ones.

Your motor will run great on 50:1, even 100:1. But not for very long. :eek:

Bob