Alpha One Maintenance and Repair pics inside.

blue_77

Cadet
Ok so I posted regarding an oil leak on the drain at the bottom of the outdrive. So being that I just want to be safe rather than sorry out in the middle of nowhere I wanted to do as much as I could to the outdrive to be more confident about taking trips out with the family.

So here is where I'm at. I removed the outdrive and I'm getting the bellows for ujoint shift cable and exhaust. Water pump kit with impeller and new gaskets all the way around. Checked the gear oil with a rare earth magnet and no metal came out ecxept very small metallic like shavings. Nothing that stock to the magnet.

Please, thoughts or suggestions since i'm here what do I replace now that I have it apart.

And should I post pics as I go along or just create link to an album?

Almost forgot, all looks ok except I found a large piece of corroded metal that does not seem to belong anywhere. (FIRST PICTURE)

IMGP0356.jpg

Draining gear oil not much came out and no large metal shavings.
IMGP0333.jpg

removing trim after taking prop off
IMGP0341.jpg

bellows
IMGP0344.jpg

lower (where water pump)
IMGP0352.jpg

water pump gaskets Where is the oil from????
IMGP0354.jpg

comments and suggestions please. I don't want to take too many trips to West marine its far from where I"m at.

Like always, I very much appreciate your opinions.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Alpha One Maintenance and Repair pics inside.

so ya know, i'm not the pro here. just another joe boater. learned everything i know from folks here... well almost.

did that white and grey stuff come out of your drive in the lub pic? if so, i'm thinking water intrusion to some degree. looks like there may be water in the bellows too. along with a rusty snap ring. possibly more signs of water intrusion.

stick your finger onto the gimble brg. and spin it. it should have no feel to it and turn absolutely smooth or it needs to be replaced.

interesting ya got the oring on the drive shaft it looks like to me. ya can loose that if you want and not put it back where you found it. proof ya don't need it would be that a new drive shaft won't have the groove to put a oring there.

when ya replace the water pump. sounds like your doing the housing too. good. do the base while your there. check for a seal groove at the drive shaft where the lower seal sits. along with just under the splines at the top of the drive shaft. best i can see, yours looks shiny which is ok. a groove is not ok.

no idea what the piece of metal is.

for sure pressure test the drive. since ya lost yer lub and it came out the little hole in the ft. of the bullet. shift shaft seal seems likely to leak. ya can test the drive while separated. just gotta plug the hole where the lub transfers to between the upper and lower then pump it up.. listen and soap and water i hear is the way to locate the leak.

there's a new style seal for the shift shaft in the upper. ya may wanna consider replacing it.

any rust on the ujoints?

if ya got rust. water intrusion is likely and ujoint replacement is likely, along with probably the ft. seal of the drive. which ain't easy to replace.

use your service manual a lot when working on the drive. use specified torque values when reassembling. read ea. sentence and fully understand it. use proper lubs or sealers per the book.

now let the pros answer.. ;)

havasuboatman

Ensign

That piece of metal came from your exhaust riser. They corrode, ad peices flake off. Time to do an inspection.
Did you verify that the leak is at the shift shaft? Finding and fixing that leak is first priority, otherwise everything else is wasted time and money.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like rusty water in the bellows, time for new bellows, and would bet the gimbal bearing is a bit rough too. Expect the ujoints to be the same.
The oil on the water pump bolt and gasket came from the oil passage.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP0354.jpg
    IMGP0354.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0