1989 Evinrude 90HP

txwhitetail

Recruit
Any info on a 89 Evinrude 90HP?

Have one on a 1978 SS-1 Fisherman and would like to know if this is a good motor and if and what the drawbacks are to this motor. I have not every owned this one.
Thanks

peterskeeter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude 90HP

I have an 89 90HP Evinrude on my Skeeter SD80. Is it the greatest motor ever? Probably not, but it gets the job done:rolleyes: There are alot of parts out there for these motors and many people get good service from them. It's a little more thirsty than my Dad's 90HP Yamaha, but his is essentially a looper (crossflows are less efficient due to the combustion process involving the ports) and the Yamaha has 3 cylinders while ours has 4. The Yamaha is also more refined. Just using the Yammy for comparison sake. Overall, I think the old Evinrude is a good motor

trelos67

Seaman Apprentice

Any info on a 89 Evinrude 90HP?

Have one on a 1978 SS-1 Fisherman and would like to know if this is a good motor and if and what the drawbacks are to this motor. I have not every owned this one.
Thanks

I have the same vintage but from the white side of the fence. Did all the usual service item when I bought her, added a filter/seperator and have not had one issue with her so far touch wood. Look after her and service what needs to be done, and enjoy.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

These were very popular engines at the time. Pretty basic, carbureted engine with auto-oiling. OMC made countless thousands of these over the years. The engine is torquey, though not as fuel efficient as today's engines. A used engine is as good as the prior owner's maintenance was. I'd make sure the engine runs, has good compression, shifts ok and has no water in the lower unit.