1994 Nissan Maxima Transmission/Clutch Help

Nandy

Commander
I am going to politely ask that if you are not a mechanic or have experience working with this vehicle to refrain from posting your "best guess". I'm not trying to be rude, im just trying to get a good educated advise.

I have always worked in all of my cars but I need advise on this trouble before I start working on this with my limited free time. With the cold weather, being down to one "gas guzzling" vehicle, we both work 1 hour away from the house/1 hour away from each other and a very incompatible schedules this is a nightmare.

Symptoms:
The short story - Sound is a metal scratching on metal sound accompany by transmission/motor vibration but the sounds is definitely coming from the clutch/transmission case which appears to vibrate more than the motor. The vibration cannot be felt from the driver seat (see note one for exception) but can be appreciated while looking at the motor/transmission case.
* Note 1 - When this test was done with the reverse gear engaged the noise and vibration was noticeable worst to the point I could feel the vibration in the driver seat.

Noise happens when:
1. Car is stopped, transmission in neutral, clutch engaged (pedal not depressed).
2. Car is moving, transmission in neutral, clutch engaged.
3. Car is moving, transmission in 1st *, clutch engaged.
4. Car is moving, transmission in 1st *, clutch disengaged (pedal depressed).

No noise when:
1. Car is stopped, transmission in neutral, clutch disengaged.
2. Car is moving, transmission in neutral, clutch disengaged.

The long story - Yesterday the girlfriend went to warm up the car and I hear this rattling noise, not too loud... I get to the car and it sounded like that dry sound of metal-on-metal scratching sound. I open up the hood and start chasing the sound. It seems to be coming from the motor. Then suddenly the sound got real loud and it made me jump to shut the vehicle down. I check fluids everywhere as the sound was coming from the motor and I wanted to make sure it was not the crankcase or something in the internal of the motor although the sound was not of a motor that lost lubrication. I start the motor again and the noise was gone, I release the clutch with the shift in neutral and all hell broke loose again. I made the above noise/no noise test.

My guess:
The above test points me to the transmission and whatever part is moving when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged or when the clutch is disengaged but the transmission is on gear.The book for the car does not provides any information about the transmission to me to narrow down the trouble to a specific section.

The situation - Im trying to get a feel if there is anything that I can change or if I will end up getting a transmission at a "pull a part" junk yard. We were planning on getting another vehicle before anyway once the girlfriend gets her income tax return but that is at least a moth ahead and this vehicle not working mess everything. All I want is to get this car moving until then and it is not worth it for me to spend a lot of money fixing it. I cannot do a one car thing for too long as the only one with freedom at work is me but when they need me, they need me. So it will be a matter of time before she will be stuck at work waiting for me in a very, very empty parking lot, late at night... Or I will fail to fulfill my duties and I could get fired.

Life sometimes sucks but it surely beats being dead... ;-)

What do you guys think the problem could be?

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1994 Nissan Maxima Transmission/Clutch Help

I am going to politely ask that if you are not a mechanic or have experience working with this vehicle to refrain from posting your "best guess". I'm not trying to be rude, im just trying to get a good educated advise.

I have always worked in all of my cars but I need advise on this trouble before I start working on this with my limited free time. With the cold weather, being down to one "gas guzzling" vehicle, we both work 1 hour away from the house/1 hour away from each other and a very incompatible schedules this is a nightmare.

Symptoms:
The short story - Sound is a metal scratching on metal sound accompany by transmission/motor vibration but the sounds is definitely coming from the clutch/transmission case which appears to vibrate more than the motor. The vibration cannot be felt from the driver seat (see note one for exception) but can be appreciated while looking at the motor/transmission case.
* Note 1 - When this test was done with the reverse gear engaged the noise and vibration was noticeable worst to the point I could feel the vibration in the driver seat.

Does the clutch slip when the transmission is in gear and your foot is on the brake??

how fast have you attempted to drive the car to locate the noise/vibration?

Noise happens when:
1. Car is stopped, transmission in neutral, clutch engaged (pedal not depressed).
The input shaft is turning in the shaft bearings and inside the constant mesh 3rd, 4th and 5th input gears. There is no load on the gears. The main shaft where the diff input gear is located is held stationary by the axles through the differential = inputshaft bearing noise.

input shaft driven by the engine, main shaft driven by the wheels. no change in the noise... still input shaft bearing noise.

input shaft and main shaft driven by the engine. gears and bearings under load still input shaft. nothing to specify main shaft bearings.

input and main shaft driven by vehicle. nothing points to the main shaft but input shaft is still in play for noise from the bearings.

No noise when:

No transmission shafts are turning.

input shaft is held 'virtually stationary' with no bearing load. the main shaft is turning - driven by the wheels. No noise.... bearings on the main shaft are "ok".

The long story - Yesterday the girlfriend went to warm up the car and I hear this rattling noise, not too loud... I get to the car and it sounded like that dry sound of metal-on-metal scratching sound. I open up the hood and start chasing the sound. It seems to be coming from the motor. Then suddenly the sound got real loud and it made me jump to shut the vehicle down. I check fluids everywhere as the sound was coming from the motor and I wanted to make sure it was not the crankcase or something in the internal of the motor although the sound was not of a motor that lost lubrication. I start the motor again and the noise was gone, I release the clutch with the shift in neutral and all hell broke loose again. I made the above noise/no noise test.

My guess:
The above test points me to the transmission and whatever part is moving when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged or when the clutch is disengaged but the transmission is on gear.The book for the car does not provides any information about the transmission to me to narrow down the trouble to a specific section.

The situation - Im trying to get a feel if there is anything that I can change or if I will end up getting a transmission at a "pull a part" junk yard. We were planning on getting another vehicle before anyway once the girlfriend gets her income tax return but that is at least a moth ahead and this vehicle not working mess everything. All I want is to get this car moving until then and it is not worth it for me to spend a lot of money fixing it. I cannot do a one car thing for too long as the only one with freedom at work is me but when they need me, they need me. So it will be a matter of time before she will be stuck at work waiting for me in a very, very empty parking lot, late at night... Or I will fail to fulfill my duties and I could get fired.

Life sometimes sucks but it surely beats being dead... ;-)

What do you guys think the problem could be?

There could be other sources from gears but hard to tell at a distance.

does the noise change when you shift to higher gears - which you are probably hesitant to attempt..,..

Selecting reverse could put an increased side load on the input shaft that, along with gear misalignment, increases the noise you hear.

Based on a couple of small assumptions and not hearing the actual noise, it seems that one or both of the input shaft bearings are the likely culprit.

Your best bet is likely a 'used' transmission for a quick repair or put the repair money toward a 'beater' car for the short term but then you are in the I don't know position so far as it's condition and reliability. It 'hoovers' to be vehicle bound with two working and in opposite directions. I was just in the same fix after my older Ford v6 blew a head gasket.... no time and not really worth it to fix. I'm thankful that I had an emergency fund so I could pick up a newer used vehicle in decent shape on fairly short notice.

There looks to be a list of transmission models for various years. I'm not sure what the interchangeability factor might be.

You did good with your condition tests that you listed...gave what was needed.

Hope this gives some help and direction.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

You did not mention what kind of noise it makes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gears.
The only thing turning in neutral with the clutch engaged and the car stopped is the transmission input shaft. If the noise is the same in ALL gears with clutch engaged and car moving that would point to the input shaft bearing.

Nandy

Commander

I would not dear drive this vehicle fast enough to shift any gears. The noise starts the minute the car starts moving. This noise is loud enough for my neighbor across the street (bout 40 yards) came out twice from the inside of the house to check what was the racket. I will make a video tomorrow so you guys can see and hear it.
Thanks for the input, that helps narrow it down. How hard are those bearings to change? Do I need a vise? Im inclined to the used transmission but still would like check the option of repairing this one. I know for some parts of the transmission you need specialized tools but maybe I get lucky, but not counting on it.

Thanks!

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

This was a sudden onset of noise???

It seems strange that the bearings would be good when you park it and bad next time you start up.

Seems like the bearings are all ball type so they could fail like that - I guess....

Bearing replacement requires a case split. There are clearances to set and there may be other parts found that have failed or will fail because of this failure. Some one with a manual, some experience and some extra bravery would be ok with it. it's not an afternoon job under the shade tree.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ok, from what I read in your original post,... from my experience , it sounds like you have a worn out throw out bearing...this is the bearing that the clutchplate rides on as you depress the pedal... a very common wearpoint on a manual transmission...many people 'ride' the clutch pedal while at a stop light...makes a whirring sound until it is almost ready to grenade.... usually a good time to replace the clutch plate and the throw out bearing...( to get to either , the trans must be removed...may as well replace both at the same time....

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

KISS............keep it stupid simple... you guys want him to tear apart his trans.... go for the common wearpoints first...we are talking about a 1994 Maxima.....we just celebrated 2010....that makes the throw-out bearing 16 yrs old.....a worn throw-out bearing will sing and sound nasty no matter what gear you are shifting into or out of...how does it sound when you depress the clutch pedal.?...if the throw-out bearing is bad , you will feel it thru the pedal......sheesh...replace the clutch plate and throw-out bearing... your problem will be solved...or I owe you a beer...:cool:

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, from what I read in your original post,... from my experience , it sounds like you have a worn out throw out bearing...this is the bearing that the clutchplate rides on as you depress the pedal... a very common wearpoint on a manual transmission...many people 'ride' the clutch pedal while at a stop light...makes a whirring sound until it is almost ready to grenade.... usually a good time to replace the clutch plate and the throw out bearing...( to get to either , the trans must be removed...may as well replace both at the same time....

Noise happens when:

No noise when:

There is no noise when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is also disengaged. That is when the TO bearing would be turning as well as when the transmission is in 1st gear with the clutch is disengaged.......

TO bearing is good - unless noise is intermittent and it doesn't seem that it is.

puddle jumper

Captain

Before you jump to any conclusions climb under you truck and check your oil in you trans and look for metal. Some gear boxes have a magnet on the check plug this will help. If you trust your girl friend not to run you over have her run the engine "with the wheels blocked" and see where the noise is coming from. The noise you are describing could be an input bearing,throw out bearing ,clutch disk coming apart or even as simple as the inspection cover tagging the fly wheel. In some ways the inspection cover tagging sounds more like your noise as. If you ever have it happen it sounds like your truck getting ripped apart.

ps your starter not disengaging will also make one heck of a racket.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ok, just for giggles,...since a smart person would replace the clutch plate and TO bearing at this point if they were to replace a trans...lets stop short of replacing or cracking the trans...and see if replacing these external parts first, doesn't cure it..... I'll buy him a beer if it doesn't fix it...

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you jump to any conclusions climb under you truck and check your oil in you trans and look for metal. Some gear boxes have a magnet on the check plug this will help. If you trust your girl friend not to run you over have her run the engine "with the wheels blocked" and see where the noise is coming from. The noise you are describing could be an input bearing,throw out bearing ,clutch disk coming apart or even as simple as the inspection cover tagging the fly wheel. In some ways the inspection cover tagging sounds more like your noise as. If you ever have it happen it sounds like your truck getting ripped apart.

ps your starter not disengaging will also make one heck of a racket.
l

all good inspection points. Those could turn up further clues.

A bad TO bearing should be making noise when the clutch is disengaged and quiet when the pedal is up providing there is correct freeplay.

The input shaft is turning when he is saying there is noise.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

KISS............keep it stupid simple... you guys want him to tear apart his trans.... go for the common wearpoints first...we are talking about a 1994 Maxima.....we just celebrated 2010....that makes the throw-out bearing 16 yrs old.....a worn throw-out bearing will sing and sound nasty no matter what gear you are shifting into or out of...how does it sound when you depress the clutch pedal.?...if the throw-out bearing is bad , you will feel it thru the pedal......sheesh...replace the clutch plate and throw-out bearing... your problem will be solved...or I owe you a beer...:cool:

All good procedure for inspection and replacement when going through the job.

I based the conclusion on the noise on/noise off situations he described.

There is nothing wrong with replacing the parts you suggest. As old as the car is, they no doubt could use it but He did say that he wanted to limit his 'investment' in this vehicle while getting it back on the road for a month or two.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ok , the man asked for an educated opinion...personally, I would replace the two external wear parts....I am an automobile mechanic, I do this for a living, and thats where I would start if it were my car...

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forget replacing anything until you take it apart and inspect it. You will know prit near right away if the clutch and throwout bearing are making the noise or not. A bad clutch, throwout bearing or fork will be obvious.
If it all looks good you know you have a munched transaxle.
I guess the good thing is on that on most Japanese cars the transaxle is easily removed from the underneath/side.

Nandy

Commander

I thought it could be the throw bearing to begin with but once I made those test I was convinced it is something in the transmission. That is the only part in a vehicle that I have never worked on hence the questions. Now, no mater if it is the transmission or a clutch part im taking it down and I should be able to see if there is anything wrong with the clutch parts. If it is the trasmission I will probably just get me one at a junker.

As far as I know the car was not making any noise, or at least the girl friend did not complaint. We did have an exaust issue so that might have help hide the problem a bit but I doubt it. She drove it home the previous night (hour drive from work) and when all this happened I asked her and she says she never heard anything. Actually, when I got out of the house and noticed the sound it was not too bad, but it deteriorated to real bad in a matter of minutes.
I will check the transmission gear oil later today or tomorrow. She is off from school and work so this week will not be too bad.
I have no plans of start throwing parts at the car to see what fix it, much less have plans to take this transmission down twice or more. A TO bearing should be easy to spot.

I have also seen a few vehicles between 300 to 500 that I might be tempted to fall for...

I will get that video later today...

Thanks everyone for your input.

Nandy

Commander

I realize the video is not too good. The clutch/transmission case is dark to beging with and you cant appreciate the vibration but it is there. However, you should be able to hear the noise and I can assure you the video dont do justice. This time the other neighbor, a nice old gentleman, came to my aid after hearing the noise. BTW, that is the girlfriend driving with me sitting on the trunk...

What do you all think? I have will try to start on it this weekend.

Thanks!

puddle jumper

Captain

That's quite the noise. It almost sounds like throw out fork is hitting the clutch assembly or some very big chunks in the trans.

I think some one owes you a beer

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trans is so munched its not even funny. Notice how when the transmission is not turning there is no noise. The throwout bearing and clutch are always turning when ever the engine is running, a fork interference problem would always sound with the engine running. Sounds like a good running motor with the clutch in.
I saw transmissions on car-part.com in your area for $500 unless this car is a real junk you arent going to buy much more than old junk that needs plenty too for that money. If you got some money and parts into this car and its workable you'll probably be best to fixer.
Maybe the clutch is 60% in there and you can just slap the trans in er.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

That's quite the noise. It almost sounds like throw out fork is hitting the clutch assembly or some very big chunks in the trans.

I think some one owes you a beer

ok , time to pay up ...lol... so what beer are ya drinking these days ?

Nandy

Commander

They sell the transmission for $70 with "warranty" in pull a part in Charlotte, I could pay one of those guys at the parking lot to take it out. They have several cars, hopefully they will have one with the transmission I need. The inventory shows maximas from 89 to 96 (except 92) and this one is a 94. Will it be safe to go by the year? I know some makers the transmission could be different in the same make/model/year vehicle. The do a cross reference to see which cars match but I have been there before and I dont trust the clerks much. If anyone knows please let me know...
Thanks!