firing order

gooders

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this is may be a really stupid question, but as I am a novice when it comes to boat engines can anyone tell me or maybe post an 'idiots guide ' diagram of which lead from the distributor goes to which plug.The engine is a 1988 OMC 3.0L COBRA.Sorry for sounding really stupid but I need all the help I can get.Thanks everyone.:confused:

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: firing order

I can't help with specifics here, but if you will be doing your own repairs and maint. you NEED a factory service manual. You can still find them on ebay.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF and that is a big IF, the distributor is in the proper #1 position, it should be like the picture below.

3.0%20firing%20order.png

Now if someone has it installed where #1 is at a different spot, then it will change.
Do you know how to locate #1 TDC on the compression stroke?

gooders

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any help you can give me is appreciated.You really know your stuff.Thanks for everything so far.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are going to need a Remote Starter switch or you can pull all the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand. With the 3.0L you can't get to the front crank bolt, but you can turn the engine with the nut on the alternator as long as the plugs are out.
Turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation with your finger over #1 spark plug hole. When you feel pressure start to build you are coming up on #1 TDC on the compression stroke. Keep turning (you don't need your finger over the hole) till the timing mark is aligned with 0 on the timing pointer.
You are NOW on #1 TDC.
Now, pull the distributor cap off the distributor and look at where the rotor is pointing. That will be where #1 plug wire goes.
You can either start from that position and go with the firing order or remove the distributor and turn it and reset the position as in the drawing. Either will work, the engine could care less were #1 is physically located. As long as it fires on time.