impeller

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class
sierra, mallory, or mercruiser oem?
alpha1 gen2

dont want to save 3 bucks on an inferior part.
i tend to think oem might be the best, does any one have an opinion?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: impeller

Having used all of the ones you listed. OEM, No contest.

Fun Times

Staff member

Having used all of the ones you listed. OEM, No contest.
I 100% agree:) Sometimes it seems that when you use aftermarket anything on a boat, It just doesn't seem to work the same as oem.;)

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Using OME will save you from having alot of headaches!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Considering that most of the manufactures import the OEM parts, exactly what would any difference be besides the price? Mexico,Singapore, Taiwan, etc. all manufacture parts for the industry.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Considering that most of the manufactures import the OEM parts, exactly what would any difference be besides the price?

The manufacturer (Mercruiser for example) sends out specs for the impeller, as in rubber types, makeup, and tolerances, they also do a lot more inspections to make sure the product meets the specs.
A lot of the aftermarket places may just end up buying what didn't meet specs.
I have gotten impellers that the vanes were so stiff they wouldn't hardly fit in the pump housing. Where the oem impellers go in easily with a slight turn of the shaft, time after time, impeller after impeller.
It's all in the specs and the quality control. Almost is good enough for a lot of the aftermarket stuff, but not good enough for the OEM.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bond-O have you tried one of those impellers? If so are they any better than the OEM?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... They feel much Better in hand,...

I ran a couple of them for a few years, but lost track of which drives I'd put 'em in,...
Out of the 4 drives I've got laying around, I don't remember which 1s have 'em, other than it ain't the drive On the boat...

cr2k

Captain

Well since Mercury bought out Sierra most of that stuff is coming with MC part numbers on it.

We use a lot of Sierra parts and have had very good luck with them. You just have to know what parts not to buy aftermarket.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Oh cr#p man, I didnt know the mfgr was important on a rubber part. I guess i am learning the hard way. Newbie boater here and i just bought a couple of water pump repair kits half the price of the oem, sierra and mallory. They are from a co. called Hydra in italy. I ll let you know if they last more than a season. Anyone ever use them? At least theyre not stiff. These being the dreaded 470's i will always be keeping one eye on the temp gauge and one on the bow anyway. Maybe i need to find a chick with a lazy eye to watch both for me. Some guys find that sexy.