Say it ain't so Bud

mphy98

Lieutenant
Bud Selig the commish of all things baseball.... is trying to get the world series not a true world series unless we play Japan for the title. What a crock, baseball is a true American sport, yes Japan loves it to, but does he have no sense of history and tradition?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Say it ain't so Bud

Well, why don't we just call it the North American Major League Championship?

Seems pretty arrogant to call it a World Series and not allow the world to compete.

I'm with Bud.

"Bud Selig the commish of all things baseball" More arrogant horsepockey. All North American Major League baseball is not all things baseball.

I would like to see a series that included South American, Carribean, Japanese and Taiwan teams. That might be correctly called a "World" series.

Triton II

Commander

Hey JB, don't forget us Aussies... we may only be a small population but there's a plethora of baseball clubs sprouting out here. Watch out World! LOL :D

JB

Yes. And the guys from Oz, NZ and anywhere else they play very high grade baseball.

Might be a good reality check for some of those multi-megabux bench warmers to get their plows cleaned by a team that uses less than that in its entire annual budget.

angus63

Captain

Well, why don't we just call it the North American Major League Championship?

Seems pretty arrogant to call it a World Series and not allow the world to compete.

I'm with Bud.

"Bud Selig the commish of all things baseball" More arrogant horsepockey. All North American Major League baseball is not all things baseball.

I would like to see a series that included South American, Carribean, Japanese and Taiwan teams. That might be correctly called a "World" series.

I like MLB and NFL being exclusive of the rest of the world. It's probably just tradition, a hint of patriotism, and selfishness driving this opinion, but it's our sport regardless of the title of the final series. To satisfy my interest in how American athletes stack up against the world, I watch the Olympics and root my heart out.

I like holding on to the feeling that it's just a game and not a profitable event trying to grab a larger market share.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

My favorite was when the US olympic basketball team with all the greats got spanked a few years back
college sports are great but professionals are just a bunch of over paid babies!
i still don't understand the saying "WE WON" no they won you watched

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I understand the French have a pretty decent baseball team.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm holding on to the "AMERICAN pastime" sentiment. If other countries have good baseball leagues..........well good for them!!

Not trying to offend, but, Baseball was invented(I know, a cricket spin-off) here in the states, and we have the World Series.

I can't imagine how long the season would be if it went international.

Didn't Football try an international league a few years ago?? Hmmmmm.....don't remember what happened to that.

TilliamWe

Banned

Before the rest of the world could play baseball, The World Series came into existence. So it was not arrogant to name it that, it was a fact. Now I realize times have changed, but the name is a registered trademark, so it's not going to change.

The World Baseball Classic is a direct response to your concern. It's not perfect, but it's a try.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ok if baseball does go global, its a true world series, but what I want to know What about Miss Universe.:D

JB

Ok if baseball does go global, its a true world series, but what I want to know What about Miss Universe.:D

Chuckle chuckle :D

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seem to remember that the designation 'World Series' originally had nothing to do with countries but identified the sponsor of the championship series by a newspaper of that name.

Anyone else remember something like that?

gonefishie

Commander

This is the same arguement as the one about the World Record Largemouth Bass. Lot of folks argued that it didn't count since it was caught in another country. World means world not just North America.

shuswap119

Seaman

I've got to agree with Pascal. The World Series came about because of the News Paper sponsorship.

Regards

Triton II

Commander

Believe me, I'm in no way having a go at the Americanism of baseball and I'm glad the reason it's called the World Series was/is because of news paper sponsorship... the media always beat up the truth to sell more papers/adverts. However, I think the point is that the USA has a (perhaps undeserved reputation) for being insular, and a little more understanding that it's a big, wide World out here would not go amiss. I for one am just as patriotic about my country as the average American is about the USA. So if one of our sports teams or individual sports stars beats one of yours we celebrate - remember 1983 and the America's Cup? :D

JB

"remember 1983 and the America's Cup?"

"America's Cup" was so (re)named when the yacht "America" won it away from Europe's best in 1850.

It would seem only fair to rename it the Kiwi Cup or after the vessel that finally, after 100+ years, took it away from the USA.

Jeep Man

Commander

I want to know about Miss Universe as well,..............pictures please.

Triton II

Commander

"remember 1983 and the America's Cup?"

"America's Cup" was so (re)named when the yacht "America" won it away from Europe's best in 1850.

It would seem only fair to rename it the Kiwi Cup or after the vessel that finally, after 100+ years, took it away from the USA.

Ummm, JB, hate to say it, but the cup was won in 1983 by 12 metre yacht AUSTRALIA II after the USA had it for 132 years! :D (The Kiwi's came later... )

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I want to know about Miss Universe as well,..............pictures please.

I would post the pics but cant shrink all her heads and tenticles into the picture.:)