25 hp johnson mo. j25reda wont turn over

littleflat10

Cadet
just bought a 14 grumman with a 25 hp johnson couple months ago . took it out a few times ran good . i took it out this fine morning and had alittle trouble starting figured i was cold . got about 200 yrds from launch and the motor killed . i turned around to see both terminals on battery smoking. tryied to disconnect but was to late it melted the ground off of the battery. so i paddled back a picked up drove home . 1 1/2 later i started tracing wires only to find the first connection into the motor was rubbing a small bracket wore a hole in insulation and was grounding out . so i took it apart and rerouted it . reconnected a differant battery and great no smoke. but now the motor wont start if i prime it ,it will run for a couple seconds then kill then it wont turn over agian. need help any ideas

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 25 hp johnson mo. j25reda wont turn over

What is the model # of the outboard. Did you verify it has spark on both cylinders, you may have fried something electronic.

littleflat10

Cadet

i just messed with it alittle and it will run for about 20 -30 seconds the will idle high then slow work its way down and kill then wont start back up unless i prime it think it may be an ajustment problem the model is j25reda i dont understand ran it 2 weeks ago and it was fine is there a site to pick up manuels

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

having to prime it again, sounds like fuel delivery problem. make sure a hose did not melt. as they run close to the the battery cables.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yikes:eek::eek: a hose melting next to a battery terminal?? Lucky to see you're still with us. But yea, I second that motion about fuel delivery and to touch on bktheking's point, check the spark on both cylinders and make sure you didn't lose something there.:cool:

littleflat10

Cadet

what would be the easiest way to do that? check the fire that is? kinda new at this ?.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

what would be the easiest way to do that? check the fire that is? kinda new at this ?.

With a spark tester, it verifies distance the spark will travel and much easier than holding a spark plug to ground while cranking, but that way will work too.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One way is to remove the bottom spark plug and see if it'll run on the top cylinder. If you find out that it does, then try this proceedure on the other cylinder. If it runs on each cylinder individually, then your ignition system is fine.:cool:

littleflat10

Cadet

i went out today and tried to start squezed bulb and primed 3 times motor started right up 1st time . it ran about 25 or 30 seconds then killed .it wouldnt start back up. i pulled primer 1 time it started back up ran 10 sec then killed . whats up is there some kind of pump o n this motor mabe j25reda

bktheking

Vice Admiral

i went out today and tried to start squezed bulb and primed 3 times motor started right up 1st time . it ran about 25 or 30 seconds then killed .it wouldnt start back up. i pulled primer 1 time it started back up ran 10 sec then killed . whats up is there some kind of pump o n this motor mabe j25reda

yes, a fuel pump, you need to inspect the system from the tank to the carb, something is not working properly.

Venting/pump/lines/bulb

littleflat10

Cadet

i just went out after work and wiped a few things down wiped hoses to see if they were leaking. took apart fuel pump and checked filter looks clean. did as usual squeeze bulb till tight prime 3 times and fired right up ran for a good minute and a half then it killed it wouldnt start back up but with 1 pull of prime it cranked right back up while it was runnig i put it in gear to give alittle gas ran smooth but a coulpe of time mabe twice it would puff alittle smoke like ruuuuuuuuuuuuun puff ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun puff ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun only twice is that normal seems alot better then yesterday i couldnt keep it running more than 30 sec now its running a lot better still idleing alittle high but it did that second time i took it out . i,ve only taken it out 4 times twice when i got it . once about 3 weeks ago caught 30 speckled trout . i was going back when this happened. wanna get back on the water!!!!!!