You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

I picked this boat up last week for a hell of a deal (or so I thought) The boat is a 94 Sea Ray 200BR Here is a link to that post:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=366829

I bought this boat off of a MasterCraft dealer who took the boat in on a trade. He said that the original trailer was shot that was on the boat and that He had put the boat onto this trailer. A 2006 MasterCraft trailer. I noticed the rust spots on it but He told me that it was cosmetic and the trailer was structurally sound and that it was just serviced in August. Now being a 2006 trailer and He knows more about these trailers than I do,who was I to argue. now the price was right he boat and I figured the trailer would be an added bonus right??? WRONG!!!

Last night I decided to move my boat from one side of the driveway to the other to get some stuff out of my garage. I hooked up the boat,put the truck in gear pulled up aboat 3 feet and heard a load thud.

Here is the outcome:

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

Keep in mind that this trailer is less than 3 years old. This could have snapped off when I was bringing it home and could have killed someone.

Anyways after allot of help from my neighbors we got the trailer up on some blocks and I snapped a couple of pics of the carnage. I couldnt snap pics of it still hooked to my truck because I was in the middle of the street.

This trailer is 100% trash there is nothing to weld to so as to repair it. Oh well you live and you learn...

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

Re: You Know The Saying "trailer is worth what you paid for the boat" **I Disagree**

DSC00132-1.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00146-1.jpg

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

That really bites! That could have been ugly on the freeway! I think I'ld be having a conversation with the dealer. Good luck!

a70eliminator

Captain

OMG what a bummer, there's a thread down below about c channel vs tube trailer construction, I vote for C-channel over tube any day of the week, i have a 1967 trailer C-channel and it's still strong as ever.
Right there where the intersecting tubes were welded together forming the tongue may have been a major trap for water and debri causing that rot out, with any luck you can find good steel a little farther back to reconstruct the tongue, you have to at least give it some thought.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Well I think these pics should add a lot of weight to the c-channel tube debate.

I know this has probably been used in salt water only, but damn the trailer is an 06.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Have a chat with the dealer. Unless he is a total schmuck, my guess is that he'll provide another trailer in a heartbeat. Simply put, only an idiot would risk word of your incident getting out, given the serious accident that you avoided by nothing more than a stroke of luck.

???

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I think these pics should add a lot of weight to the c-channel tube debate.
I know this has probably been used in salt water only, but damn the trailer is an 06.

....and even more weight against painted steel trailers !!!! :eek:
On the plus side...this is probably the first good case Not having a bow chain connected.
And lastly, I noticed in the original thread that the trailer was built for an inboard, perhaps the p.o. routinely completely dunked the trailer in salt water. I can't imagine that much rust that far forward. (I wonder what the frame looks like in the suspension area)

FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would be returning the trailer to the dealer when he was bending down to pick something up !!!!
See what he says about another trailer to replace that one and mention that you will show the media what he sold you if he is not co-operative.
Good Luck and I am glad nobody was hurt.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would be returning the trailer to the dealer when he was bending down to pick something up !!!!
See what he says about another trailer to replace that one and mention that you will show the media what he sold you if he is not co-operative.
Good Luck and I am glad nobody was hurt.

...upon futher review:
I'm sidin' with 'kenmyfam'. Judging from your initial post, you've had this thing for less than a week. Unless the rig was sold "As is", I believe you stand more than an even chance of the dealer making things right.
FWIW...Ed in 'ol Virginny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unbelievable that it could look that good on the outside and that bad on the inside. Makes me really glad I sold my boat with the tube trailer (which was rusting) and now have a very sturdy C channel one.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Fact of the matter is, its still a good deal on the boat. It runs perfect and everything works great. But when I was looking at the boat I pointed out to him the rust in the front and how it was flaking off. He said that the rust was just on a thin plate that's welded over the point where the three tubes come together just to make things look nicer. He stated that these trailers are built to last and that under that decorative plate that it was rock solid, and that I have nothing to worry about. That decorative plate was pretty much what was holding that trailer together...

puddle jumper

Captain

I am with the others,s have them come to your house and take it back. That is just BS

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....He said that the rust was just on a thin plate that's welded over the point where the three tubes come together just to make things look nicer. He stated that these trailers are built to last and that under that decorative plate that it was rock solid, and that I have nothing to worry about. ...

That sure sounds like a implied warranty to me !!!!!

Go get 'em.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

But when I was looking at the boat I pointed out to him the rust in the front and how it was flaking off. He said that the rust was just on a thin plate that's welded over the point where the three tubes come together just to make things look nicer. He stated that these trailers are built to last and that under that decorative plate that it was rock solid, and that I have nothing to worry about. That decorative plate was pretty much what was holding that trailer together...

A little smoke and mirrors from the dealer in my opinion.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

What the real bummer is now you have to get it off that trailer...Man i would be hot and on the phone with that dealer!

I could not imagine what would have happened at highway speeds..it would not have been pretty!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What the real bummer is now you have to get it off that trailer...Man i would be hot and on the phone with that dealer!

I could not imagine what would have happened at highway speeds..it would not have been pretty!

Completely agree with that !!!
Let em have it.

puddle jumper

Captain

He said that the original trailer was shot that was on the boat and that He had put the boat onto this trailer. A 2006 MasterCraft trailer. I noticed the rust spots on it but He told me that it was cosmetic and the trailer was structurally sound and that it was just serviced in August.

How much do you want to bet that the trailer that was under it was in better shape than the one you got and they traded it.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, I'd be steamed!

Put the tongue back on the hitch, jerry rig it so it won't drag on the ground and drive it down to the dealership. I bet the look on the salesman's face would be priceless when you ask him if this is his definition of "rock solid" :rolleyes:

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I sent the dealer an email with all of the pics and a link to this thread. I am being cool,cal and collective in the wording of my email. Yes a possible disaster was avoided by this trailer breaking in my driveway and not on the freeway on the way home. I am sure that the dealer will think twice before sending a questionable trailer down the road again. I started a similar thread on the MasterCraft site forum as well with alot of the same responses as here except for this one:

It appears you got what you paid for.
Your not knowing the boat or the trailer history and probably buying it "As Is' from the dealer (check your sales documents), your got your "hell of a deal". First, the dealer placed your now new used boat on a trailer not manufactured for that boat, the axle placements should be wrong for the engine placement in the boat and you probably didn't even bother to do a trailering or on the water test of the boat either, but you got your "hell of a deal". Next, you'll tell us the brakes don't work either.
The dealer probably saw you coming and you made his Christmas by getting rid of some excess baggage inventory and you fell for the "hell of a deal".

We would appreciate you not coming on here, slamming MC's products, when it's your job as a consumer to check everything out before you buy, no matter what the dealer says.
I think I know where I can find one of Tiger's well used girlfriends, do you want a "hell of a deal"?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

How much do you want to bet that the trailer that was under it was in better shape than the one you got and they traded it.

The dealer said that the original trailer was aluminum and that the axles and hubs were shot. Thats why he put it on this trailer...

Status
Not open for further replies.