compression needed

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a little 2 hp Evinrude mate 1971 210a that was given to me and I have gone through it to tune it up, checking the magneto and cleaning the carb. i can't get it to fire off, just a few pops and a backfire. I check the compression and found it will has 60psi. Is this enough to support ignition? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.....Robert

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: compression needed

I have a little 2 hp Evinrude mate 1971 210a that was given to me and I have gone through it to tune it up, checking the magneto and cleaning the carb. i can't get it to fire off, just a few pops and a backfire. I check the compression and found it will has 60psi. Is this enough to support ignition? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.....Robert

It's not awesome compression but it should fire up. When you had the flywheel off was the keyway there in the crank? Did you torque the flywheel to proper spec? Did you set the high and low speed needles up properly on the carb to allow it to fire?

Last edited:

kbait

Commander

It's a single cylinder, and it should run w/60. Check spark w/tester to ensure 1/4" non-intermittent blue spark, and spray a little pre-mix in the carb. Should run for a few seconds if it's a carb issue.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's a single cylinder, and it should run w/60. Check spark w/tester to ensure 1/4" non-intermittent blue spark, and spray a little pre-mix in the carb. Should run for a few seconds if it's a carb issue.

Duh, me dumb LOL

ya , screw it, check all 6 plug holes for compression.:p

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, didn't remove the the fly wheel It has asome spark and didn't think I needed to. I set the high speed needle at 1 turn out from bottom and the low speed at 1 1/2 turns out. After the pops I pulled the plug and notice is was wet with gas. I mave have flooded it. I'll try again in the am. Thanks for the help. If it still pos and back fires , I'll pull the fly wheel and check to see if the key is sheer and the point are good.(but it does have good spark)????

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Hi, didn't remove the the fly wheel It has asome spark and didn't think I needed to. I set the high speed needle at 1 turn out from bottom and the low speed at 1 1/2 turns out. After the pops I pulled the plug and notice is was wet with gas. I mave have flooded it. I'll try again in the am. Thanks for the help. If it still pos and back fires , I'll pull the fly wheel and check to see if the key is sheer and the point are good.(but it does have good spark)????

Good spark yes, sheared key, bad timing, pops and backfires.

robert53a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, just a follow up, I pulled the fly wheel and found nothing wrong, points set at .020 and clean shear key intact. Reassymble and retorque and still nothing.(good hot spark) This one will go on craigslist as free. It's beyond where I want to go.(total rebuild) Thanks for you guys insight, it was much appreciated......Robert

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Wish I lived near you, giving away anything else??? 66 Nova that won't start perhaps? :)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wish I lived closer! Wait. I'm gonna be in Carleton Place in the morning!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Ugh. Coffee. Ptuii!

Gotta work on Judson street...