Bennet Trim Tabs

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Anyone have experience with Bennet trim tabs? I have hydrolic tabs in my boat, but they haven't worked since i've owned the boat. I called bennet and they gave me the procedure for checking the wiring and it resulted in there being a problem with the motor. Was wandering if anyone has ever taken one apart and fixed it themself. Could just be that it's corroded up inside and could be cleaned. Anyhow, just wondering. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bennet Trim Tabs

Was wandering if anyone has ever taken one apart and fixed it themself. Could just be that it's corroded up inside and could be cleaned.

Ayuh,... Anything is Possible,... Try it....
But, I'd guess you'll end up Replacing the pump unit...

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have Bennets on the Parker.
Had a issue and found their customer service outstanding (for today's times) and the online help link was great.

Only issue I had was when trimming one side was way faster than the other.
Response was almost instant with customer's online service and spot on.
Had me verify the hydraulic lines were the same length. (previously installed by prior owner)
They were not. One was 13' in length, other only 11 inches. (convienant mounting situation?)
Made both same length - problem solved. :D

Google; www.bennetttrimtabs.com/ Lots of helpful info there.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've had Bennetts on my last 3 boats.

If the problem has to do with contacts in the relays they can be cleaned. IF its an issue with the armature forget it as it is sealed in epoxy.

BigBoatinOkie

Thanks guys. I spoke with a tech and we pretty much concluded that the pump unit needed replacing, but sometimes they tell you you that so you'll buy something from them. It's probably shot but I never trash anything until I consult the iboats team. :D I'l tear into it and see if there's anything I can do though.

By the way, as I said before, they haven't worked since I've owned the boat so I don't know how well they work. My boat is pretty stern heavy because it's a v8 in an 18 ft boat. So, do they work pretty well? I'm excited to get them working and see what they can do. Takes me a while to plane out especially when I'm pulling skiers.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I had them on my 17' 4Winns with a 5.7 and Alpha 1. The tabs were my secret to fast hole shots and a 63 MPH top end. I swung a BIG Stainless prop, first a Stiletto then a Hill Racing. I could trim it bow down and yank out a skier or boarder then trim as required for a wake. For top speed runs, I trimmed little by little, youll see how much engine vs tab trim to use, till it was maxed out. They helped keep the bow down with that huge chunk of iron back there!

BigBoatinOkie

I had them on my 17' 4Winns with a 5.7 and Alpha 1. The tabs were my secret to fast hole shots and a 63 MPH top end. I swung a BIG Stainless prop, first a Stiletto then a Hill Racing. I could trim it bow down and yank out a skier or boarder then trim as required for a wake. For top speed runs, I trimmed little by little, youll see how much engine vs tab trim to use, till it was maxed out. They helped keep the bow down with that huge chunk of iron back there!

Cool! I hope it helps me as much. Mine is a 5.0 but it's not much lighter than a 5.7 if any. When I pull a skier, I always have someone sit at the very front of the boat along with my anchor and other gear to help keep the dang bow out of the air. I was running a 14.5x20 stainless prop and I could get 51 mph with one passenger, but My hole shot was still pretty poor. So I started running a 14.25x18 4-blade to get some pulling power, which helped out of the hole(still not great though) but my top speed went down to 44 mph. Can't wait to try 'em.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I would completely trust anything the Bennett tech support/help would have to say. On my used Sea Ray I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking out of the cylinder. Contacted them and they sent new O-rings and instructions on how to install - NO CHARGE!!!!!

This unit was out of warranty and I was not the original owner. That says a lot, in my world!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the people at Bennet are the best, I needed the grommet where the pump pickup goes into the reservoir but it wasnt listed in the service parts, called Bennet and they sent me one free of charge:)

BigBoatinOkie

WOW! That's two people in a row that said Bennett didn't charge them. That's almost unheard of these days. Cool.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Theres another option too, Lectrotab ( I think thats it) sells electric actuators to replace the bennet hydraulics thats cheaper than a new motor and it wires into the original harness. I almost went that route but mine worked so well I never needed to.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Benett are great I had mine on the boat since 1981 and has worked perfect. Only problem I had was the joy stick control got a little flaky or inconsistant. I wanted the dual rocker switch anyway so I installed the dual rocker switch and it is great.

I assume they had you check the +12 volts and the ground going into the motor.
If it is a full 12 volts and the motor does not turn then it is likely the motor,
but if you only checked the power at the control unit it can be a lot of things.

What was the voltage accrossed the motor and did you Measure it trying to raise and lower?

If you did not measure it at the motor connection it self then it can be a lot of simple thing like a corroded connection or loose or broken wire.

After you hear the motor run then still have to pick a solenoid to raise or lower a tab.

Direction the motor runs determins if raise or lower.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stick with Bennet, and I would trust thier customer service, hands down they are the best customer service company I have ever dealt with.

I have a 1986 boat with Bennet tabs. When I bought the boat used, I was having problems with the tabs working. I was on a forum that had a Bennet rep. He help me track down the problem (Bad motor). He asked how old the unit was, I told I did not know boat was a 1986, but I had just bought it. He said well it is new to you, so it is now a warrenty item. He had me call Bennet, and say he told them to cover unit under warrenty. Three days later I had a new pump. They did not even want a CC to ship the new unit, just said to return the old unit.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Bennett is great, they used to have a deal where you could send them the pump and they'd send you a refurb for like $125, may wanna check into that.

SNAKER 50

Recruit

Anyone have experience with Bennet trim tabs? I have hydrolic tabs in my boat, but they haven't worked since i've owned the boat. I called bennet and they gave me the procedure for checking the wiring and it resulted in there being a problem with the motor. Was wandering if anyone has ever taken one apart and fixed it themself. Could just be that it's corroded up inside and could be cleaned. Anyhow, just wondering. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I had same problem motor submerged in water, on budget for boating,sooo decided to take unit apart.did so took me
8 -10 hrs cleaning everything up. had unit completely torn down,put back together works great saved me from waiting to
save money for new h.p.u. did not want to wait to use such a awesome system. recommend one for all boaters.

P.S- do not try what I did unless you are mechanically inclined both electrical and mechanical...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Bennett customer service is best that I have found. PERIOD.

lakegeorge

I have had Bennett tabs on several of my boats and I can't comment on their service because I have never had a problem with them. I wouldn't use anything else.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

I too recently had a motor failure, contacted Tom from Bennett (on this forum), and he suggested I get a new pump unit, although did not offer any warranty service. So I took the motor to a very reputable electric motor shop in my area, they rebuilt it for $70 like new!