Any other options?

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are there any other real options to use instead of plywood for the floor? Aluminum boat. . . aluminum floor?

5 speed

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Any other options?

Are there any other real options to use instead of plywood for the floor?
Ayuh,... Dollar for dollar,... pound for pound,... Nope...

erikgreen

Captain

I agree.

But if you're not caring about costs, sure, you could do an aluminum deck. Lots of the high end aluminum boats have them, they're super durable, never rot, etc.

You'll need anti-skid all over to avoid slipping. You'll also need to change the underlying structure of your boat to support the aluminum deck... aluminum needs different support than wood. I'd recommend you weld the deck on to make the boat's structure one piece.

What are you looking to do? Don't like wood, don't like rot, want a different look?

Erik

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he is looking for an alternative to his rebuild thread...

78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

and I agree...

If you don't care about costs.. You can do an aluminum deck.. but have to build a sub structure, which means you don't care about costs...

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I understand that pressure treated wood is not good for an aluminum boat. At least the new kind which is copper based. The copper reacts with the aluminum and accelerates galvanic corrosion of the "weaker" aluminum.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

No additional substructure needed if you use the right stuff.
I would seriously look into alternative decking materials as in outdoor deck for your house.
Such as extruded aluminum or vinyl "deck boards". Just google vinyl, pvc, aluminum decking.
http://www.lockdry.com/
Pricey, yes but you will never have to replace the floor again. Is colorfast, slip resistant, won't mold, rot, warp, sag, leak, splinter, etc.
Plus if you get the right type, you can remove one or two to gain access below deck if needed in the future.
Might also really enhance the resale value as soft floors are always something to avoid in buying a used boat.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Specs from the link above...

Span: Recommended 24" on center. 30" on center max.

The recommended is to narrow for my boat at the max beam,
but good for the bow area. I am still under the max center at max beam...

I need to find pricing...

and look at this...

33-lg.jpg

bridge made from the stuff!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Might also really enhance the resale value as soft floors are always something to avoid in buying a used boat.

5speed has an OMC Stringer. He ain't got no resale value :)

Just kidding ya 5speed.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Better yet...

The correct application for this thread!!

43-lg.jpg

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great responses! I don't particularly like the plywood decking and then have to seal that and add carpet. I was looking at .250 aluminum and how much that would cost with a anti slip coating that would be life time. I was also wanting to be able to gain access below the floor in sections so welding the perimeter would not be good. I think there would be a weight savings with the aluminum floor. 4X8X .125 aluminum is @ 130.00 a sheet. My concern is the perimeter not having structure to support the outer edges of the aluminum sheet. I think going to a .250 sheet thickness would have minimal sag but I am guessing the cost would double. I'll read up on the lock dry product. As far as my resale goes with the Stringer outdrive... I can fix that with about 6500.00 and drop in a Mercruiser Mag350 and Alpha I outdrive puting out 325 HP!:D

5 speed

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

as far as the outer perimeter goes...

with anything that has been suggested here

you will need to make a track around the outside perimeter riveted to your original locations for your deck.

This track will make for a mounting location for the deck boards above, aluminum track, or aluminum sheet...

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to the LockDry site and that is some way cool stuff! I can make this stuff work really easy for the boat floor and be able to take up sections for maintenance or leaks! I started engineering at my work bench at work! I build 737 slats so this boat stuff is fun to me. I sent them an email to see how much it is for a 14' section. The stuff is 6" wide.

5 speed

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

In August of 2007 I was quoted $7 per sq ft. You can get it up to 30 feet long.
The original Lockdry is waterproof as far as water getting from the top to the underside as the water is channeled to the long ends of each plank. Weight is under 2lbs per sq ft which they claim is half of comparable thickness wood. The top surface is skid resistant as they do not want to trust the end user to make it so.
They came out with a cheaper version too but it has a gap between the planks.
They have competition now from other companies since 2007 with both aluminum and pvc/vinyl alternatives that might be cheaper.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

That pontoon is WAY overpowered! :eek:
Yea you think that pontoon is overpowered with that trolling motor?

Wait until he fires up the jet turbines he laid into those pontoons and he singes the hair off your raised eyebrows as the exhaust comes blasting out of those rectangular jet thrust outlets in the back.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would run it

port <-> startboard

Not length wise...

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I called them and it's 7.98 a sf. I done the rough math, 894.00 for decking and added shipping of 112. total was 1006.00. With that said how much would it be for marine grade 5/8" plywood, a gallon of sealer, a gallon of adhesive, and a good grade of marine carpet? I figured on 112 sf of floor.

5 speed

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I called them and it's 7.98 a sf. I done the rough math, 894.00 for decking and added shipping of 112. total was 1006.00. With that said how much would it be for marine grade 5/8" plywood, a gallon of sealer, a gallon of adhesive, and a good grade of marine carpet? I figured on 112 sf of floor.

5 speed

Well according to those that know how to do it the right way with plywood....................
You have not listed near the stuff that is required.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would run it

port <-> startboard

Not length wise...

Are you sayin that for your boat due to the understructer that exists to support the planks?
Or for any boat in general?

I did a 21 foot pontoon boat and ran them all length wise.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well according to those that know how to do it the right way with plywood....................
You have not listed near the stuff that is required.

Then what am I missing? I was just shooting from the hip on the plywood/materials list...

5 speed