omc stringer waterpump

hali63

Cadet
Greetings all, I have a problem installing sierra waterpump kit in my 1971 omc outdrive v6 engine , have all apart , shaft had only an o ring in pump shaft groove. The new kit has a seal & more orings, also a large o ring , none of these were on the pump as I dissassembled it , also my manual talks about a lock ring on the seal. is it possible this shaft only uses the one o ring in the groove. Any pictures or instruction on these seals would help me as I not too sure what to go with.
Thanks

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc stringer waterpump

Here's an exploded view and parts list. It's for my 1975 but it should be the same for your '71.

upperiw1.jpg

leglist1.jpg

leglist2.jpg

leglist3.jpg

hali63

Cadet

Ok , from these pics it would seem maybe a shaft seal , not too sure how far the seal rides on spline, & an o-ring on inside of bottom of shaft, I would note there is a groove on shaft spline about 1 1/2 in. from end , thanks but still not too sure on the extra rings in kit, someone sure butchered this pump! any more suggestions would help
Thanks
:confused:

ezgon

Recruit

Ok, just done mine a couple weeks ago. Yes they send u more o-rings then u need. You should have one o-ring at the bottom of water pump shaft, then at the top there should be a snap ring in the splines, that will go on last after waterpump housing is all put together. Above the snapring there should be a seal that slids down over the splines down to almost the snapring. I got some kind of gasket sealer from marina, can't remember what it's called but the mechanic at the marina will know. Put some on splines then install the splined seal, let sit up, then grease on top of shaft, then reinstall. The one big o-ring goes on bearing hausing in upper vertical shaft. Do not put waterpump housing in upside down, believe me, it's easy to do. Oh don't forget to seal waterpump housing with that stuff that u used on the other seal, waterpump housing has to be sealed not to suck in air.Some of the housings had gaskets in them, mine did not.I think I put some sealer on the threads of bolts before installation.Get grease for the rubber impeller, just rub alittle on inside of impeller housing. Hope this helps.

hali63

Cadet

Ok I think I got it , one more clearification , the large o ring (size of impeller housing, is shown in my manual to go around the impeller housing outside , this doesnt make any sence as there is no groove for this to seat. been over this lots, still no place to put this , any help?
Thanks
Hali63

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I think I got it , one more clearification , the large o ring (size of impeller housing, is shown in my manual to go around the impeller housing outside , this doesnt make any sence as there is no groove for this to seat. been over this lots, still no place to put this , any help?
Thanks
Hali63

I JUST FINISH MY WATERpump installation 2 days ago.. i said the same crap your saying. i remove the old pump and did not see that big azz RUbber O RING..

Make sure you use sealer when you put everything back.
dont just assemble everything and put it back. seal everything. i use the RED GASKET maker from walmart. its $5.

put it where the metal plate seat. THe BIG metal where the 4 bolt was remove.

just to be safe. dont test it until the next day. let the sealer get hard

i use alot of that RED GASKET maker. and let it set for 2 days. and damm.. my water pump.. PUMP PUMP PUMP.. it gets alot of water. into the engine..