New Timing Cover has no timing scale

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
New timing cover has no scale on it how should i proceed when time to deal with the timing -what have you guys done in the past to deal with this sort of isssue? Thanks ain advance for any input.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Timing Cover has no timing scale

i'd go get a cover with the timing scale.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

that does qualify as input, but really looking for a different take on solving the issue much appreciated though.:D

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Timing is over rated...just let-'er fly.....:D

Just kidding. Do you have your old cover still ? Can you scribe the new one using the old one? There was another post here a month ago, or so, about the same thing. If it wasn't 2 hours into happy hour, I could tell you what it said. Maybe do a search...

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup i got the old cover -I remember that post was having a lot of trouble finding it again though i ll keep searching -i thought about cutting off and welding it on to the new cover or something like that -just was hoping to see if someone had any luck doing that. I bought the cover on ebay and thought that it had the marks just obscured in the photo -i was wrong no timing mark tab -the deal for the cover was to good -didn't want to pay the 120 for the perfect one -so im stuck trying to mod this one. Someone around here must have encounterd this situation before

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

-i thought about cutting off and welding it on to the new cover

Sounds like a plan to me. Find top dead center - tack weld your old timer plate onto your new cover - verify it is in the correct place, then weld it on for good.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds simple enough just needed some forum support thanks guys

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

bolt on timing marks are available, the outfit that sold you the cover should be able to supply it,in fact they should get a swift kick in the butt for not telling you that you would need it, good luck

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now youyr talking Dan T. Thats the info I have been looking for -thanks so alot -im going to look in it and report back thanks guys I love Iboats

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

do you guys know if the harmonic balancer is 7 inches ? i m not near rthe engine and was wondering if anyone knew? the tabs i am seeing generally are made for small block chevy's -inline 4 is not considered a small block chevy is it? just realized def not sb its a "inline 4"

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com...methrower_distributor_chevy_engine/index.html

A link for others that encounter not having a timing tab

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry, cant help there,I guess I didnt read your first post all the way through,I just presumed you had a small block