Transom question?

zeagle

Cadet
Here is a picture of the rear of of my 17' dixie cc. Can anyone tell me why there is an indentation in the bottom of transom at the keel? And do you think this would make the transom weaker than going straight down to the keel? Thanks

P1010088.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom question?

What is your concern, or why the question?

zeagle

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Ondarver,

I am in the process of grinding the inside of my hull down to bare glass. I would like to do a hull ext. of about 4ft. I am going to upgrade my motor to about a 135 or 150. I would like the transom very strong. Here are some pics.

P1010100.jpg

P1010095.jpg

zeagle

Cadet

Ondarvr, Thanks for the info.

I have read the thread by Oops many times over the last couple of months. This has to be one of the most informative threads for a hull extension that I have ever read. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from many people on this site. Again, thanks for all the help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Juat curious....what is the boat rated for now for a motor??

zeagle

Cadet

Bob VT, thanks for the reply

The boat has a 70hp evinrude, nameplate says rated at 90hp. I would like to add 4' inside the boat with a full swim platform and bracket. I am planning on buying a new yamaha outboard in several months. I am figuring on no bigger than a 150hp. I am grinding the inside of the hull bare so I can add at least 2 layers of 1708 on the whole hull after the ext is glassed in. I am not sure of the layup on the bottom yet. I do alot of scuba within 10 miles of shore and with 2 people and gear its tight. Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You do know that there's a lot more that goes into a boat's maximum horsepower rating than just the strength of the transom right?

Knightgang

Lieutenant

You do know that there's a lot more that goes into a boat's maximum horsepower rating than just the strength of the transom right?

I do agree with this, yet also feel that adding 4' to the hull is just grounds for the addition of at least 40 HP IMO.

I think he should take a look at similar boats as his that are closed to his modified size and see what they are rated for. Then a good estimate of what will be best for his "New" boat would be...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The beam of the boat is also a fairly critical factor in adding HP. Thake a close look at the USCG Boat builders guide. I am afraid with the extra platform and weight of the motor you will lose freeboard and that alone hurts.

Trust me no one is trying to poo poo the project but, spending the time to lengthen the hull AND get a new outboard may equal or FAR exceed the cost of another hull.

We are a group of people here that tend to look at safety when we re-build.

zeagle

Cadet

Thanks for yhe reply EZ,

I understand this EZ. I just wanted to be sure that the transom is as strong as possible. That little indent on the bottom of my transom had me puzzled.

zeagle

Cadet

Thanks Bob for the info,

I really like this hull and would like to lengthen it. I could probably find another hull cheaper than redoing this one. A couple of people on this site now have me thinking. I am going to finish sanding the inside of my hull to bare glass and then think about it. Thanks

jonesg

Admiral

I wouldn't bother , theres literally hundreds of free hulls on craigslist.
They usually come with free or very low priced trailers just to get rid of them.
The problem is typically a blown I/O engine. The rest of the boat would be fully rigged, equipped and ready to go.
You'll save a grand on resin alone.!
I see some beauts on CL.