Blue Finn Boat

Force 120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know about Blue Finn boat. It is 1984 18' aluminum boat for sale in Craiglist
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1466835941.html
The boat got hit somehow as can see visible on both sides but no crack. The transom all so needs to rebuild. It has nice and clean 1984 115 HP Mercury but the owner has nothing to start the motor but he said it is good motor. All interior parts need to redo. There is no title for boat and trailer.
I had offered half of asking price and he took it. Is it worthy to buy this boat and spend time and money to fix it?

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Blue Finn Boat

Trailer looks a little shaky to me, but if u got the thing for 650$, i would think its well worth it! The anchor in there alone might be worth 100$ ahahah

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For $650 I'd take a chance on it, but then I haven't seen the boat. If you need a project it doesn't look bad, but that's up to you ;-).

Jeep Man

Commander

FYI on Blue Fin boats. I just checked them out for a co-worker who has an '82. BLUE Fin were made by Spectrum in New Paris, Indiana and the early/ mid '80s were considered solid boats. Around 1990 Brunswick Marine purchased Spectrum and continued making Spectrums (looks a lot like Blue Fin) until the mid '90s

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That one looks to have some big ol' dents in the front. Looks pretty rough. Do a compression test on the motor. If the results are good....you got your money's worth. You will not find a bigger group of tin boat nuts then you will right here :)

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you are willing to put the time and money into it then it is worth it. I would be concerned about no title. Lots of luck..

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I've got an '84 18 ft'r but with full deck. Hard to find a more solid/thicker aluminum boat. Floorboards are a pc of cake.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Force 120

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sticker on the boat says 0.089" thick of 5051 aluminum. Is it thick enough? When shaking the motor, the transom moved in and out about 0.5". Other thing is the boat and trailer don't have the title. The owner said the bill of sale for boat and trailer were enough. Does anyone have experience to bring the boat from US to Canada? Please give some input.
How do I tow a trailer and boat 20 miles without license plate ?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

None of this is sounding very good.....transom should have NO movement. Replacement is an easy job on a tinny though. However the no title thing sounds like an importing nightmare to me.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone know about Blue Finn boat. It is 1984 18' aluminum boat for sale in Craiglist
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1466835941.html
The boat got hit somehow as can see visible on both sides but no crack. The transom all so needs to rebuild. It has nice and clean 1984 115 HP Mercury but the owner has nothing to start the motor but he said it is good motor. All interior parts need to redo. There is no title for boat and trailer.
I had offered half of asking price and he took it. Is it worthy to buy this boat and spend time and money to fix it?

RUN AND HIDE FROM THAT WRECK ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Seriously, keep your eyes open, and you will find a better start for a project boat/ motor/ trailor..I was gifted a 1990 Bayliner 2002 Cuddy in June...and its coming along nicely...lol
that craft looks like the hull has taken quite a beating...you can do better , for less $$

puddle jumper

Captain

The sticker on the boat says 0.089" thick of 5051 aluminum. Is it thick enough? When shaking the motor, the transom moved in and out about 0.5". Other thing is the boat and trailer don't have the title. The owner said the bill of sale for boat and trailer were enough. Does anyone have experience to bring the boat from US to Canada? Please give some input.
How do I tow a trailer and boat 20 miles without license plate ?

With out title you wont get it across the boarder. I don,t think it would be worth it.