'77 85 Johnson 1st start issue

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I'm having problems starting my 85 johnson w/o spraying it first with starter fluid. I have a new fuel line with new bulb and it pumps hard and stays that way. I just replaced the little fuel gasket (looks like a crosssection of a cut orange) cause it was leaking when i pumped the bulb. Checked compression and it was good (i think) 105-110 psi. The electric choke is working, i can here it click when i press it in. The battery is 12.8v and it charges great. I've cleaned up the carbs about a month ago, i've checked the plugs and they look good.

If i spray starting fluid and turn the key it fires right up no problem and i can get it to idle and run great. If i put the boat in the water i have to open the motor and spray EVERYTIME even if i start it in the driveway before taking it out (around 10-15mins away). When i spray and get it started and go out fishing it runs fine and will start up when needed all day. It only acts this way on the first start no matter what. :confused: I'd like to take my boat out and drop it in the water and start it up without looking like an idiot that doesn't take care of his boat

Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: '77 85 Johnson 1st start issue

It sounds like your choke is not working. Do you have a manual choke under the hood? My uncle's '77 Evinrude 85 did and my '73 Johnson did. And DON'T use starter fluid on a 2 stroke. It's very bad for it. It has no lubricating properties and strips off the lubrication that's there. Use mixed gas in a spray bottle instead.

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

the choke is auto, Push in key button. it closes the flaps on the carbs when i push it in and i can hear a click (supposed to squirt fuel?) when i push in the key. I tried it again this morning and the fuel line was still hard, i push in the key and try to start it and it just spins and spins. :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes I know you have an electric choke but you should ALSO have a manual one under the hood......

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

yup sure do, i tried flipping that down this morning after your suggestion but it still didn't start. could the fuel pump cause this? :( and is there some way to start the boat with this manual choke on? just turn the key til fire right?

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you put some pre-mix in a squirt bottle and shoot some right into the carbs, does it fire then?

You should be able to engage the manual choke, go back up and turn the key and as soon as it fires go back and flip the choke off.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Take the airbox cover off and inspect the choke butterflys for proper operation. When the key is on and pushed in, the choke solenoid will click and should pull the choke butterflys completely closed. Check visually to see if this actually happens. Could be you are missing the spring connector on the solenoid... or the solenoid may be misadjusted and not closing them all the way.

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

sorry about the late replies, yes it does fire with a spray bottle of premix. the choke works like a charm, manually and auto with key pushed in. it's frustrating :( i haven't read the article but i will right now. thanks guys :confused:

edit: holy crapfest i think i figured it out, from the additional notes i read that the choke should be completely closed (and from a previous reply i didn't pay attention to fully) sorry, i thought that it was closing completely but the top carb had a 1/4 gap from being completely closed. i really hope this fixed it, i did spray premix in it earlier and got it to fire so i'm not sure about the cold start. i'll check it in an hour or so :) thanks :D

diastiss

Seaman Apprentice

yup it was the choke plates, thanks everyone for helping :)