wont stay running

paul.tassie

Cadet
Hello all out there. im looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my outboard. it only fires when it wants to and when it does it dies after about 4 - 5 seconds. i have a 1986 55hp evinrude.
so far iv'e cleaned both carby's, put in a new diaframe in fuel pump. new plugs new fuel lines and also a new line between tankand motor.
Im just going through trying to elimenate things
it has good spark and from wat i can tell its getting fuel to the carbys and there working right.
i have an old metel fuel tank witch doesnt have a breather screw on it.
im just wondering if any one out there knows wat else i could try.
am also wondering if the screw on the fuel pump has to set a certin way
ive also put clear fuel lines in and from wat can see the fuel is flowing well.
to me it seems like when it fire's it runs with a little rev then dies out as if its starvin its self of fuel. if i give it revs when it starts it seems to run longer but still dies.

paul.tassie

Cadet
Re: wont stay running

Hi there. yes ive been having to use the chock to get it to fire and with the choke it fires 3 out of 5 times.
ive been doing a bit of reading and i not sure but it only a guess was wondering could it be blocked jets on idle?

paul.tassie

Cadet

hello am wondering if some 1 could tell me the right way to do a cold start with a 1986 55hp evinrude and if i should hold key in or not on start. on the controls i have a side lever 4 cold starting and also if you push the key in you can engage the font flaps on the carby to clossed. i dont have a manual yet as i just brought my first boat.

paul.tassie

Cadet

are you using the choke???

hello there yes the only way i can get it to start is by choke. im trying to find the right way to do a cold start as i dont know the right way to do it. just trying all the bassic's first

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

A few questions: You cleaned carbs and installed new fuel lines and pump diaphram. Why did you do that? Did it make any difference? You cleaned the carbs, but what did you actually do? Did you clean the gunk out of all the jets and orfices? Did you turn the pilot screws all the way in to seat them softly and note how many turns they went in before you removed them to clean the orfices? Did you return them to their original settings? Did you soak the carbs? What did you find in the carbs when you disassembled them? Did you adjust the float levels and insure the float needle/seats are not leaking? We need to clarify what you actually did. "Cleaning the carbs" means doing all of the above and more to some people. To others it may mean dumping the old gas out the bottom of the float bowls. Sorry if it sounds like "the third degree", but it is helpful to know.

To me it sounds like you have a fuel supply problem through the low speed/ idle circuit. But there are other things that could be causing what you are describing.

After the engine runs for a few seconds then dies, are the spark plugs wet or dry?

The "cold start lever" advances the spark slightly for warm up. Engage the cold start lever and push in the key for choke to start.