transom repair - don't know where to begin!

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I put my 15hp Johnson Sea Horse (approx 55lb) on my transom and noticed that the clamps made an indentation in the transom! Now, my thought was I could just put a 1/4" aluminum plate on both sides of the transom and make it super strong that way, but someone said I should just rebuild it b/c it isn't that hard.

I'm not afraid of tacking the project, but I wouldn't even know where to begin! :confused: I was hoping someone here could help me out. I have attached a link to the folder with all the transom pictures.

here is the folder

Here is the damage:

DSC01900.jpg

Questions:

1. what do I do about that fiberglass lip on top? there's usually an aluminum cap, but I took it off. Do I cut this?

2. What portion of the transom is the wood? Do I have to replace the whole back side or just the rectangle in the middle?

3. What the best way to go about this? cut out one side of the fiberglass, or just dig out the old wood and put in new? (honestly I don't think it's rotten enough to do the old "dig out").

I appreciate the help!!

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom repair - don't know where to begin!

On your boat I would cut the interior transom fiberglass face layer only. Remove it and the transom wood completely, saving the exterior fiberglass layer, and the fiberglass lip that goes around the transom notch. You can use a dremel or similar to cut fiberglass.

Once all wood os removed, and transom interior face and cleaned and sanded, I would measure and cut appropriate amount of new marine grade plywood layers, being sure to leave around 1/2" space on sides and bottom, epoxy them together, and then epoxy them to existing transom fiberglass. After that set up for a day or so, I would make an epoxy paste from epoxy, fiberglass/wood flour, fill the 1/2" viods around sides and bottom, being sure to radius them. Next I would wet in several layers of biaxial fiberglass cloth with epoxy, overlapping on bottom and interior sides by several inches, increasing another several inches for second layer.

To finish up, mix up some fairing material, trowel it on, dry, sand it smooth, and paint.

Add motors, go for a ride.

Below is four page, step by step procedures I used to rebuild my transom in a 22' Grady. I know your boat is smaller, but most of the same steps apply to your boat also. Good luck, Mike

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19949

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I actually saw your page when I was doing research (I recall the chihuahua in the one picture, LOL).

Thanks; i will follow your lead . . . but how do i know if the transom goes all the way across or if it's just wood in the middle and fiberglass on the sides?

transomquestion.jpg

I would hate to cut too much then have an "oh no" moment. . . .

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually saw your page when I was doing research (I recall the chihuahua in the one picture, LOL).

Thanks; i will follow your lead . . . but how do i know if the transom goes all the way across or if it's just wood in the middle and fiberglass on the sides?

transomquestion.jpg

I would hate to cut too much then have an "oh no" moment. . . .

It would appear to me without seeing your boat up close that you most likely have several plywood layers going from one side to the other, with additional layer(s) in the bumpout area where outboard mounts. Once you start removing wood, then you will most likely want to remove it all and replace with new. Any place where thickness is more than 1/4-1/2" on the transom, you can be pretty sure that it has a wood core, as a rule of thumb. I would just go at it from the inside, assuming that all wood will be removed up to the exterior skin.

Jiffyboat shows what may be a viable alternative for you. I looked at all your pics, and to me its hard to determine what may be the best solution for your rebuild. You'll have to figure that out.

Good luck and be sure to post up some pics on your rebuild. Mike