outdrive trim problem

gleavens

Seaman
I have an alpha one outdrive that won't go up or down, just a clicking at the solenoids. upon further inspection it appears that the two wires coming from the outdrive thru the transom and up to the the pump motor are brittle/broken/ corroded/ you name it, they're messed up bad! My question is, how in God's name do I run new wires from the thingie on the outdrive thru the transom and up to the motor. I initially thought I'd tape two new wires onto the bad ones and pull it through, however, I can't budge the wires! Either way, I can't pull 'em thru from inside the boat, or from the outside, what do I do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outdrive trim problem

Those "thingies" on the outdrive will not cause your down problem in any way shape or form.
You also aren't going to pull the wires through.
Go up to the adults only sticky and download the OEM service manual for your outdrive and read about the trim limit switch. Also have a look at the troublshooting section. Complete details on how to check everything, with wiring diagrams.
You can completely bypass the trim limit switch by hooking the 2 wires together on the boat side. The limit switch won't work, but the drive should go up if the solenoids, pump, and wiring all work properly.

gleavens

Seaman

Ok, i have the manual. Apparently the "thingie" is a trim limit switch, and will only control when the trim motor stops going up or down? This could be an issue as the wires coming from it are completely disconnected, no continuity. However it has nothing to do with my up or down issues?
Next is the mention in the manual of a "mode switch"? where is this? I didn't notice anything like that.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

If the solenoids are clicking than either the motor is bad or they are not making contact inside between the 2 larger terminals.To test you can jump across the terminals with a screwdriver.Large red wire to large green wire coming out of motor should run down.Large red to large blue coming out of motor on other solenoid should go up.If they do than the solenoids are bad .Also be sure the black ground wire coming out of the motor is grounded good.Also be sure you are getting 12 volts to the large red wires.The 2 wires coming from the trim limit switch you can twist together and that will cause it to bypass the switch.That switch limits how high you can trim the drive when running.You would never run it that high anyway or the prop would blow out (cavitate).When that switch stop drive from raising then you use the trailer button.

gleavens

Seaman

Ok, I'll run that test. I do have 12v @ the red terminal, and I have checked the ground cable. One more note, I have never been able to raise the outdrive from the button on the shifter, I've always used the trailer button. The clicking I get is when I try to lower the drive, when I try to raise it from the trailer button or the trim switch there is no click.
Also, can I join those two wires from the limit switch on the drive side? They're pretty badly damaged inside the engine compartment. Should I just leave them that way?

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I'll run that test. I do have 12v @ the red terminal, and I have checked the ground cable. One more note, I have never been able to raise the outdrive from the button on the shifter, I've always used the trailer button. The clicking I get is when I try to lower the drive, when I try to raise it from the trailer button or the trim switch there is no click.
Also, can I join those two wires from the limit switch on the drive side? They're pretty badly damaged inside the engine compartment. Should I just leave them that way?

If down is clicking and you have 12v on the large red on that solenoid than it is probably bad.Jump the red to green on that solenoid and it should run down.If so that solenoid is bad,not making contact inside.Those wires to the limit switch I would cut inside the boat and wire together inside boat.Then tape them up good so they don't short against anything.Don't worry about wires going out to the switch as it is now disconnected.It probably wasn't working anyway beings you could only raise drive from the trailer button.See if it will raise now.If not jump the screwdriver across red to large blue coming out of pump motor.If it runs up then jump from the red to the small blue on that same solenoid.If it runs then that solenoid is good and you have a problem in the small blue going to the switch or the switch itself.

gleavens

Seaman

Tied the two wires from the limit switch together, (what about the two wires that used to be connected to at the plug?) jumped red to green, nothing, jumped red to blue nothing. tried again at the switch, clicking on "bow down", silence on "bow up", clicking on "trailer".
There is 12v at the inlet side of 110a fuse, 12v at term #5, 12v at up solenoid when trailer button is depressed, 12v at down solenoid when bow down button is depressed, I disconnected blue/white from solenoid, still nothing.
the manual continuously refers to a "mode switch", where the hell is it? I don't know where else to look!

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Tied the two wires from the limit switch together, (what about the two wires that used to be connected to at the plug?) jumped red to green, nothing, jumped red to blue nothing. tried again at the switch, clicking on "bow down", silence on "bow up", clicking on "trailer".
There is 12v at the inlet side of 110a fuse, 12v at term #5, 12v at up solenoid when trailer button is depressed, 12v at down solenoid when bow down button is depressed, I disconnected blue/white from solenoid, still nothing.
the manual continuously refers to a "mode switch", where the hell is it? I don't know where else to look!
Your doing alright,sounds like the motor may be bad.
OK,you cut the 2 wires going to the limit switch.The 2 going to the switch outside are no longer being used.The other 2 ends are the ones you want to twist together.This should make it click when you hit bow up.Small blue and white needs to stay connected to solenoid.If you have 12v at the large red wire on both solenoids and you jump it to the large blue or large green it should run the pump up or down.Blue wires are up(sky),Green wires are down(grass).If it don't run when you jump that large hot wire to the blue or green heavy wires from pump than the pump motor is bad unless the black wire (ground) out of pump is not grounded well.Three wires come out of the pump.Black which is ground-Blue which is up positive-Green which is down positive.If you connect a hot wire to either the large blue or green the pump should run up or down provided the ground wire is connected well.If not the motor is bad.

gleavens

Seaman

I'm thinking the same, it's got to be the motor, however that one last thing is bugging me about that mode switch, why can't I find it? It must have one right? or not? the trouble shooting guide in the manual keeps refering to it as in, manual mode and automatic mode. One of the possibilities if all other things check out, is a faulty mode switch. It tells me to check voltage at a particular terminal on the mode switch, but......????
I have a spare motor & pump assembly, so I swapped it out ( filled the bilge with 30w oil) got the same results. So now I have my original pump and motor out and inside the garage, can I bench test this unit using the method you described?

cr2k

Captain

Try tapping the top edge of the motor with a hammer. I said tap not smack.

Often the brushes will corrode or rust in the holders. A tap may free them up at least enough to know this is the problem and not the solenoids.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

When you had someone press trailer up and bow down were you checking voltage on the LARGE blue and green terminals of the solenoids?If you had 12 volts on those the motor should have run.You can bench test your motor(s) easily.Just hook the black wire out of the motor to 12v neg. Then touch the blue and green wires out of the motor ONE AT A TIME to 12v positive. Motor should run different directions when touching blue and then green.I have never heard of a mode switch and it does not show one in my manual.

Bondo

Staff member

however that one last thing is bugging me about that mode switch, why can't I find it?

Ayuh,.... Find it,..?? You've been Talking about it.....
The switch on the controller is the Trim switch,... Aka. the Trim Mode....
And the Trailer switch,... Aka. Trailer mode...

gleavens

Seaman

the picture in my mercruiser manual shows a toggle switch in a round housing . up position on the toggle is "manual mode" down position is "auto mode". It also shows it in my schematic with three wires coming in one side, and three going out the other. In any case, I have finally condemned the motor, because after bench testing as per instructions, I've still got no action from the motor. Jumping power to the small terminal at the solenoid results in the same clicking I hear when I tried it installed in the boat. ( same thing on up solenoid as down). So next step I guess will be to disasssemble the electric motor and inspect. Will report my findings whenever I can find another chance to get back to it. Thank You I-Boat friends for all your help, you guys are the best!

Bondo

Staff member

the picture in my mercruiser manual shows a toggle switch in a round housing . up position on the toggle is "manual mode" down position is "auto mode". It also shows it in my schematic with three wires coming in one side, and three going out the other.

Ayuh,... Somewhere in that manual it should state "Where Applicable"...
I rather doubt your boat has Auto-Trim,....
It was never an overly popular option on the boats We usually see here at iboats....

Have you jumpered the motor Directly, rather than at the solenoid,..??

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I'm having similar problems. My motor was bad so I replaced it. I also replaced the solenoids, but I'm not getting any clicking, or working at all for that matter. I can jump the solenoid & get it to go up, or down, but the switch it not working at all.

I've traced the line, but see issues. Please advise.

gleavens

Seaman

Eureka! I have purchased a used unit from e-bay that I have succesfully bench tested. Now as soon as the weather clears, I can install in the boat and see what happens. I'm fairly confident that both used units I have are bad, and I'll be good to go once I instll this unit.
As far as JaSla74's problem, I'm by no means an expert, although I'm learning fast, but I'm thinking you have a problem in the switch at your control.

gleavens

Seaman

Problem solved, outdrive now goes up and down, just need to work some air out of the lines. Thanks to all the good people of iboats for your help. Now to get going on winterization!