Gas(LP) fireplace

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer
Well here's my situation. I recently purchased a new home. The square footage is appx 2200. Of that about 800 is heated using a small furnace and 2 vented gas log fireplaces. Marco model 792850. I can't for the life of me find an owners manual for these online anywhere. So I guess that my first problem. Anyone have any ideas where I could find one? The best I can tell Lennox now owns Marco.

Second, from what I have been able to glean from searches is model 792850 is a wood burning fireplace, obviously with a gas insert (if that info is true). My current debate is whether to convert it back to wood burning or leave it as a gas burning unit. I know the obvious work involved in hauling/chopping/stacking firewood. What I'm curious to is what I would need to do with the firebox itself. Are there any clearance/construction issues to be concerned with? If this unit was installed originally as a gas unit could the chimney have been constructed not to support the use of wood as a fuel?

Any and all opinions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Dale

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gas(LP) fireplace

if you are considering burning wood then replace it with a boiler...

with burning wood you have to burn a lot to get it hot enough to heat a larger space....

with a wood burning water boiler...you dont need as much wood and water temps only in the 160-180deg range and it will heat the whole house on less than a wheel borrow of wood a day...

I built my own boiler and I heated a 4,800sq ft home for 40.00 per month this way...dont have the home but still have the boiler.very simple to build if you can get the steel and can weld..

rbh

Fleet Admiral

A couple of things come to mind, first check you chimney, they may have put a liner in it for the gas insert.
we burn wood all the time except if we go away for the weekend then its the electric baseboards, I do love the heat you get from wood "dry and hot"
as well as you are in the detroit area, you probably remember a few storms that took out the power for a few days and with wood unlike the new gas furnaces/fireplaces, you dont need no power.
but you will need a good old kettle to put some moisture back into the air
and if it is an air tight style make sure you have a good cold air feed to it:)
rob

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Well here's my situation. I recently purchased a new home. The square footage is appx 2200. Of that about 800 is heated using a small furnace and 2 vented gas log fireplaces. Marco model 792850. I can't for the life of me find an owners manual for these online anywhere. So I guess that my first problem. Anyone have any ideas where I could find one? The best I can tell Lennox now owns Marco.

Second, from what I have been able to glean from searches is model 792850 is a wood burning fireplace, obviously with a gas insert (if that info is true). My current debate is whether to convert it back to wood burning or leave it as a gas burning unit. I know the obvious work involved in hauling/chopping/stacking firewood. What I'm curious to is what I would need to do with the firebox itself. Are there any clearance/construction issues to be concerned with? If this unit was installed originally as a gas unit could the chimney have been constructed not to support the use of wood as a fuel?

Any and all opinions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Dale

First thing you need to do is verify that what you have WAS originally a wood burning fireplace.
Free standing wood burning fireplace are double wall construction and most gas burning models are not or there is not much space between the 2 walls.
You also need either double wall stovepipe or an insert designed for wood burning.
Also note that free standing wood burning fireplaces are relatively inexpensive.
I just installed a used one in my living room last year and bought both for $150, the guy told me "buy one and get one free"
The second one didn't have the mesh curtain or glass doors and I turned around and sold it for $80.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

an OUT door wood boiler is great, but probably not allowed in city limits. i live on a farm and grandfathered or it would not be allowed. a propane fireplace way too expensive to use for heat , only good for romance. same for wood fire place. you might want to bring in a heating contractor and get a opinion and learn what you got and how to use it best.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys.

Moved about 45 miles north of Detroit now, back in a more rural area, so nights are a little cooler. Just trying to figure a way to save a little cash on the operating expenses. Still looking at options on the whole scenario so all ideas are certainly welcome.