Went to look at Cars.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Went to look at Cars.

QC,

A buddy of mine told me that he has a friend in florida who makes more money than god replacing turbos. Wisconsin with the cold temps could be an issue. I had a ford probe turbo years ago, and I still get a smile on my face when I think of that car. I never had any issue with it. But this buddy is a solid engine guy and to dismiss his advise would be irresponsible. He is a buy American guy, and when I asked him about Saab, he said it is the first thing you do after you buy one. It will be part of my decision making process, but not the end all and be all. I had a chance to get a Viggan for 11K about a year ago. I am kicking myself for letting that deal go. Only 50K and GM extended the warranty on them to 100K due to some sludge issue.

Do you know anything about the sludge issue and Saab engines?

A bunch of the Manufacturers Reps on the rubber chicken circuit drive Saabs, usually to 200K, then trade them in for new ones. That is quite remarkable.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I worried about turbo replacement too as that is something I am familiar with from the truck biz. I put 70K+ on the SAAB and it didn't need one and we have 58K on the VW and it hasn't needed one. Neither use(d) any oil which would indicate a bad oil seal and neither has/had started making any additional noise which might indicate bearing issues etc. I change my own oil and never noticed any sludge issues, so I guess I don't know about that. I use syn blends in those two cars. Usually Motorcraft or Exxon, frankly whatever is cheaper that day at Autozone. I am semi-regular on changes at around 4K miles, but I let both slide quite a bit a few times . . .

gonefishie

Commander

Did you guys know Daimler Chrysler own almost half of Mitshubishi and Huyndai? My 03 Stratus with the 3.0L engine, which is now gone, had the exact engine as the Mitshubishi Eclipse. A dodge sales person told me that high end Dodge will have Daimler parts, mid end will have Mitshubishi parts, and low end such as Neon will have Huyndai parts. Becareful out there!:^

Laddies

Banned

Pointer, before you buy go for a ride in a Chrysler 300 C 5.7 I have a 05 never has given a mechanical problem, the driver side mirror was replaced under warrenty but that was it. When test drtiving turn the traction control off and you will feel real power without the aid of turbo--Bob

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife's 2004 Chrysler Pacifica is one of the best cars we have owned for ride. With a bad back, it has a nice ride and comfortable seats.

Two things that need fixed are the blind spots at the rear corners, you have to learned to drive with the side mirrors more. Second the automatic transmission is not for a heavy foot. I use the auto stick and get a long just fine.

Also the gas milage is not very good( 15 city/22 hwy). It is a very heavy car, but it is better than her Ford Expedition was (9 city/17 hwy).

Laddies, we like the 300 as well, but with three kids, she wanted more seats.

aspeck

Staff member

waterinthefuel said:
LOL I thought you meant the movie "Cars"! LOLOL

And a great movie that is! "Mah names Mater, like tamater, without the "Ta"." Ki-chow! Okay, my 5 year old loves the movie and so I have seen it about 15 times!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Chevy man myself. But i drive a Ram 3500 for work,put 60,000 miles on it in 06 without one problem.
I did check out the new Dodge line up at the Detroit auto show and was impressed.The new full size SUV was really nice.They also had a Sebring that will be coming out next year that looks like a very high end sports car.
The new Viper concept car was pretty cool also. carbon fiber body...hate to see the price tag on that one.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 8 year old, 97+K Mercedes Benz ML430 is still a new car and does everything better than any current All Activity Vehicle suitable to tow 5K#.

Gonna try out a new ML320 CDI this week anyway. :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Laddies,

I have not only sat in but extensively driven a newer 300 and you are right. SWEET. It was a VP's car, and whoever it was is no longer with the company. It ended up in a salesmans hands to use up the lease. What a ride. I got to use it for a couple of days. I have a question, do you have a clunking in the back after hard excelleration followed by quick braking. Something to do with the vicious coupling and how torque is evened side to side? What a big block, old school rocketship.

Whatever, I would love one, but I also would like to keep the fuel bill down. Rear wheel drive is a little problematic, but considering the snow this year so far that isn't much of an issue.

heycods

Captain

All chevys myself, but my last truck was a dodge, no problems in 70,000 miles, good truck, but the chevys ride better for my crippled body.